Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: What language is used for Brilliant Database?

What language/script is used with this program? I realize that this is a really simply question but I have searched but could not find an answer. I saw that the program supports Visual Basic but I am curious as to what the actual language used is.

Last evening I was looking at a question that Trent had posted. His attachment (located in http://www.dbforums.com/brilliant-da...executing.html) gave me some good examples of what I have been looking for. The only language that I am well versed in is Visual Basic for Applications (used inside EXCEL) so I need to know what language BD is based on so that I can get a reference book (the examples in the tutorials have not been much help).

So, Trent, I want to thank you because you have helped me in my Brilliant Database journey! Of course, I need to again express my thanks to MacHeuS who has been extremely helpful and patient with me!

Can someone help me by identifying the language used for scripting in Brilliant Database?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 1
    man, i am not sure if the scripting of brilliant is a "language", but the good news is that all the scripting is made using wizards, so, if you know the very basics of any language you will pick it up with no manual at all, is the most simple thing, i mean, there is no syntaxis to learn

by the way, brilliant can run vbs, which is visual basic script, a little different from visual basic. - i got the same confusion, when i used vb code and did-t worked-

best regards

fer

by the way, you cant "code" in brilliant, you just click buttons and the code generates itself

fer

ferslash,
    I wish it were that easy (at least for what I need it to do)... Generation of the required code was straightforward when working off of the same folder'; however, I still cannot find a way for the program to go to another folder, retrieve the necessary information, and then go back to the original folder. I have spent countless hours attempting to do this and cannot find a method that works. This should not be this difficult to do and the wizards have been of no help. It looks as if I will have to scrap my idea for using Brilliant Database because of this...

Provided Answers: 17
    Quote Originally Posted by ferslash View Post
    by the way, you cant "code" in brilliant, you just click buttons and the code generates itself

fer
    I would disagree with that.

Weather you use the “Script Designer” or you are manually writing the script yourself makes little difference. Your still generating the code needed it to give your program function. You must also understand how it works and what you need to write in order to do what you wish to accomplish.

The script designer also doesn’t do many things and you must manually write a lot of things for advanced designs.

Some basic functions might only take a few lines of script, but I've written function that were upwards of 500 lines in Brilliant Database.

Regards
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    ferslash,
    I wish it were that easy (at least for what I need it to do)... Generation of the required code was straightforward when working off of the same folder'; however, I still cannot find a way for the program to go to another folder, retrieve the necessary information, and then go back to the original folder. I have spent countless hours attempting to do this and cannot find a method that works. This should not be this difficult to do and the wizards have been of no help. It looks as if I will have to scrap my idea for using Brilliant Database because of this...
    fireant911:

I think i got and idea of what do you need, i am writing an application that has to do that same operations, i solved using some "tricky ways", i will tell you in simple words what i did hoping is clear:

* lets think that you have two folders

folder 1. with two fields:

a. a number of an emplyee -employee 1- employee 2 etc
    b. and then the name of the employee, like this

num name
    1 fernando
    2 maria
    3 fausto

and on the other hand you have a folder num 2. where you want to put the names of the employees in other fiel...

so:

1. create a record set with all the information in folder 1. -names and numbers
    2. create a loop, of the kind "for each record in record set", inside this loop you can do where ever you want, go to another folder, find a record,modify the record using the info of the first line of your recordset", and then do it with each of the lines of your record set.

i hope i help, but if not, please give me more information and maybe i could give you a better help. by the way my mail is ferslash@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    I would disagree with that.

Weather you use the “Script Designer” or you are manually writing the script yourself makes little difference. Your still generating the code needed it to give your program function. You must also understand how it works and what you need to write in order to do what you wish to accomplish.

The script designer also doesn’t do many things and you must manually write a lot of things for advanced designs.

Some basic functions might only take a few lines of script, but I've written function that were upwards of 500 lines in Brilliant Database.

Regards
    James.
    yes my dear James, i regrate, i just love scrip using the designer, i hate use sintaxis and the designers are grate, i wish that all the languages would have this kind of script designers....

by the way, do you know another applications similar to brilliant, that has this "scripting designers"?

best regards

fer

Provided Answers: 17
    I love using the Script Designer myself. It's just one of the things that makes brilliant database so infinitely more productive compared to anything else I've tried.

do you know another applications similar to brilliant, that has this "scripting designers"?
    To be honest, I'm not aware of any program similar to brilliant database.

Which is why I hope that v10 is released. I don't really like the idea of having to find an alternative to brilliant database, but I will if I'm forced to wait much longer.

Regards
    James

ferslash,
    I would be VERY excited if you would be willing to share what you have done with your application. I am still undecided on whether I am going to purchase Brilliant Database at this point because of the difficulties I have encountered in trying to accomplish the 'recursive searching another folder problem'. However, if your 'creation' works, I would be much more inclined to stay with this product. Please, please, please share what you have done as I desperately need an example to follow!
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Dear fireant911 :

you can send to my mail - ferslash@hotmail.com an example of what you want to accomplish, not an actual copy of your db -for confideciality- but an example -or an explanation- of the operations you need and i would be glad to help, since this kind of stuff took me a little time to figure out... but dont worry i am almost 100% that can be done.

best regards

ferslash,
    I sent you a rather lengthy description of what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks for your interest and willingness to help.
    Daryl G