Thread: DB2 Ghost

Unanswered: DB2 Ghost

My org has moved to Windows 7. Last week I got my new machine that was imaged in India. All they did was take my profile and move it to a new machine. When they loaded IBM DB2, the prior version was 8.1.11 and they installed the new DB2 Admin Client 9.7.301.326

The install of the new did not work because what happened is I have 2 folders in my all programs. 1 is IBM DB2 that is 8.1.11 with the utilities that begin with the configuratin assistant. The 2nd is IBM DB2 with a subfolder saying IBM DB2(defaultcopy1) and the utilities under that which begin with configuratin assistant.

My desktop support has done everything. Uninstalled in programs/features, done something in the cmd prompt with some codes of db2unins-f or -p or -u and there remain in my program/features this ghost file of IBM Data Server Client - DB2Copy1 they cannot uninstall by any means.

Anyone have any ideas? The are not able to push the package 9.7.301.326 back through. I found in our AVS exception list for Windows 7 that the old versions have to be uninstalled prior to installing the new. Our India team was not given these instructions. They just upgraded to the new DB2 as they do with most software stuff. I am also having the same issues with Teradata. Same sort of scenario but will deal with that later.

Provided Answers: 1
    And your question is?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else desktop support can do in order to fully get rid of this ghost folder so the package can load. Windows 7 says for some apps you cannot have them on the machine at the same time. IBM DB2 is one of those. The prior app was supposed to be 100% uninstalled prior to loading the new and that was not done. At this time my desktop support has no answers and it has been a week and I cannot work because of this. I need it to connect to our Galaxy server and run queries. So I thought maybe some DB2 gurus might know of something I can do or tell desktop support to do

So, do you want to uninstall DB2 9.7 client, or do you want to run queries? What prevents you from running queries now?
    ---

There are 2 versions of IBM DB2 on my machine. 1 is 8.1.11 and the other 9.7.

Per our software instructions it states 8.1.11 must be uninstalled and then 9.7 installed. You cannot simply upgrade this software with Windows 7 as it will cause corruption. IT went to programs/features on my new machine and attempted to uninstall but the program remains in the programs/features. It shows up no where else on the machine. I told my husband about this................he is a hardware guru. He read the AVS policy we have on this IBM DB2 software and what MS told us needs to be done with the IBM DB2 software and my husband said the file is a ghost in ur machine. It does not exist but it does exist. They cannot send the new package to your machine because what they are sending is being bounced back stating it already exists when it really does not. It is a ghost. He said the only way he knows of fixing these types of issues is to reimage the machine. He said IT really screwed up on this and they could have avoided it if they had READ the instructions. I sure hope my husband is wrong and hoping someone out there knows how to go into somewhere in my machine and get rid of a ghost file. Maybe in regedit or something. Not sure. I am waiting for IT to figure it out but in the meantime I cannot work without this.

oh and I cannot run queries because I don't have a DB2 driver or the galaxy data definitions in configuration assistant. On friday they did an uninstall because of the corrupt message because of 2 IBM DB2 versions. So IT just went in and wiped it all out so they thought. But there is a ghost file in programs/features that says IBM Data Server Client - DB2COPY1 and no matter what they do they cannot uninstall that file. So they tried to just resend the 9.7 package and it will not load to my machine. It stops midway through and says the program already exists on my machine. But it does not. This is why my husband says it is a ghost. I cannot query because no way to query and they cannot send because the machine thinks it is there.

Still not sure what you want to accomplish. See if this helps. Hints about removing the DB2 8 Windows registry entries may also apply to DB2 9.7.

Uninstall DB2 8 IBM Uninstalling DB2 - United States

Uninstall DB2 9.7 Uninstalling your DB2 product (Windows) - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    ---