Unanswered: DB2 data server client 9.7 on AIX

Hi , I am going to install DB2 data server client on AIX. Do I need to create install user (eg db2inst1) who owns the file system where Db2 client software installed or can I use my own userid (whcih has root access) to install the software. Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    The client instance is used so that other users on the system can share (use) the installation and its configuration. If there are no other users who need the DB2 client, or if you are OK with other users having read access to sqllib in your home directory, then you don't need to create a separate instance owner ID.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Thanks , When we run the install command(db2setup) doesn't it install in the /opt/IBM/db2/V9.7 directory ? But does the instance still create in install user's home directory ?
    Last edited by p19689; 12-18-12 at 19:30.

Provided Answers: 1
    The installation of DB2 software and the creation of an instance are two different things. You can install the client but not create an instance. Typically the software installation is performed by root. After that one would create an instance (again, by root), which would create the sqllib/ directory in the instance owner home and link to some of the files under /opt/IBM/...
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.