Unanswered: Help Writing Query

I want to pull data based on sales personel from the past 24 months into a table. This may not be possible, but ideally I would want the table to be set up like this (just a quick show):
    December 2012 November 2012 October 2012
    Sold Bought Sold Bought Sold Bought
    J.J.
    R.M.
    E.L.

So have a heading of the month/year and a sub heading of sold and bought, then have the sales person's name. Simply running
    Code:
    Select salesPerson, unitsSold, unitsPurchased, dateSold, datePurchased 
    FROM employeeSales 
    ORDER BY datePurchased DESC
    Shows what I want to, but not in the correct formatting, I spend endless amount of time formatting within Excel. Is the above possible, and if so how would I Set that up?

Provided Answers: 54
    Code:
       FROM employeeSales 
       WHERE  DateAdd(month, -24, GetDate()) < datePurchased
    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Code:
       FROM employeeSales 
    -PatP

What does the DateAdd(month, -24, GetDate()) piece do?

What happens when you run it? What happens when you change the 24 to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMontoya View Post
    What does the DateAdd(month, -24, GetDate()) piece do?
    It computes one of the parts you specified in post #1 above. Check out DATEADD (Transact-SQL) and GETDATE (Transact-SQL) and it should all make sense.

As papadi suggested, run the SQL and play with the expression just a bit and it ought to become crystal clear pretty quick!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

That is a really cool T-SQL Feature, I will make note of it and use it again!!

One additional question, the code is listing out (example) each date a unit is sold so it could be 12/18/2012, 12/17/2012, 12/16/2012 is there a way to only show one entry per month, so using the example above it would show 3 for December, not 3 entry's?

This is a guess based on assumptions for a number of details that you didn't explicitly specify, so you need to read it critically to be sure that it does what you want. For the sake of efficiency this computes using the first of the month for the datePurchased.
    Code:
    Select Count(*)
    ,  DateAdd(month, DateDiff(month, 0, datePurchased), 0) AS MonthPurchased
    ,  salesPerson
       FROM employeeSales 
       GROUP BY DateAdd(month, DateDiff(month, 0, datePurchased), 0)
       ORDER BY DateAdd(month, DateDiff(month, 0, datePurchased), 0) DESC
    -PatP

Apologies, I did not mean to omit any information critical to the completion of the SQL Statement. However, even in my omission you were able to write a valid SQL statement for exactly what I was going for. Thank you tremendously for that. http://www.dbforums.com/db_images_v3...ilies/beer.gif

No apology needed. I always tell folks (especially at the hardware store) that whenever people get into trouble it is rarely what they know that got them into trouble as much as what they didn't know!

I've been at the "database thing" and working in business for a few decades, so I often make good guesses about what people want. I usually know enough to at least warn them when I'm making guesses and I try to write code that is readable enough that they can confirm those guesses.

Its good to know that you've got what you wanted!

-PatP