Unanswered: New record/Clone/timer record help

Hey guys,

need a little help again. Please see attached.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone plz?

Provided Answers: 17
    Hmmmm... I think you have a slight design issue to over come first.

For starters, the Job Number field your using is the wrong type. You must use an ID type field if you wish for your database to increase job numbers by a value of 1 each time.

The function you want in A,B,C and D by where it Clones the record and moves it to another folder also not advised if your using Job Numbers. If you do this, the Job Number ID Field will roll on once more because no two records can exist with the same ID number. If they did, that would defeat the entire purpose of job numbers. It's best that you move the record created only and not clone it.

To change “New Job” to “Blank” requires a query to be written that checks the current date, so this is no problem.

Regards
    James.
    Last edited by Tubbritt; 12-21-12 at 20:54.

ok.....cool...but what i am trying to achieve with the cloning is that usually our billing clerk will use the same information from a job to create another part of the job to bill a separate charge after a bill is done. There can be up to 4 parts for each job with additional charges. So the same job number is used but with a letter at the end to identify it as a part of the job. For example the main job can be 2130000 and if another charge comes after a bill is done then she would clone the same job but name it 2130000 A. If another charge comes after this one then the primary job will be cloned again but name 2130000 B and so on....So i just wanted to simply the process by pressing the corresponding letter to create a clone and name the job number as mentioned above. Can this be achieved?

I understand.

Then in my opinion you should update your form so that it has 4 Sheets. One for A, B, C and D.

This way a single record will contain all the billing information and the different A,B,C,D sections can operated separately.

Not only will this keep your data far more organised, it removes the need to clone the record, and it even solves the Job ID problem.

Regards
    James

I hear you but not every job has parts or even all those parts. Think i will just have the jobs cloned and rename the job number.

Thanks again partner!

I hear you but not every job has parts or even all those parts.
    Simply come up with a design that suites your needs.

For example, on sheet 1, have tick boxes A,B,C,D and when ticked, only then can you see the fields on the relevant sheets. Unticked the sheets are blank.

Think i will just have the jobs cloned and rename the job number.
    Makes no difference. The system will still remember the correct count number and when you create a new job, it will continue counting on from the correct number and not the one you manually entered.

Regards
    James

Makes no difference. The system will still remember the correct count number and when you create a new job, it will continue counting on from the correct number and not the one you manually entered.

Regards
    James[/QUOTE]

Yes i no, but will just be renamed, its the easiest solution.

Thanks for your time again James! Much appreciated bro!