Unanswered: New guy needing help with a fantasy football access database.

Hey there. First off, great posts, this site has been very helpful for me just looking through past answers.

I've been working on a fantasy football database, linking players, teams, stats, and games. The stats table is broken into individual stats, i.e.:

StatID
    PlayerID
    GameID
    StatTypeID (from the stattype lookup table)
    Units

My question is how to set up the query to display all 17 weeks of an individual player in a chart type form.

Provided Answers: 59
    as with all these things the first thing to do is to get your data organised int he form you need

it depends on your data
    it depends on what you want to present
    but I suspect you will need to use a pivot / crosstab query at some stage
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I have the data already, in the format presented. I did get the results i wanted in a pivot table, but I use a .jpg background with a chart in it, and was trying to create transparent text boxes that only display the units*multiplier field, which represents fantasy football points.

I'm not sure if that helps explain it, but thanks for the quick response.

?
    so either perform the multiplication as part of the query
    OR do it in the form or report

the smarter call would be to do it as part of your query. if units*multiplier is whats required then put that in your first query and it will carry through to the crosstab / pivot query.

The multiplier is set within the stattype table, and i've gotten it to run in the query to show just the fantasy points that a player recieved on 1 specific stat, my problem is figuring out how to display all 8 or so stats for all 17 weeks in a chart type form. I would want it to look similar to a chart, with the weeks 1-17 running horizontal, and the different stat types, i.e. passing yards, running yards, show on the vertical.

Is there a way to this?

yes, in theory, because we don't know your table structure. as to how easy it woudl be, how processor intensive it would be we don't know because we don't know your design. Unfortunately my crystal ball is in for its annual service

usually with virtually any question in the systems design world the answer is yes, but whether its justifiable depends on whats required how much effort is required to ghet the data marshalled.

Alright. So what type of information to I need to entail? I can give you the structure of my tables, but not sure how much detail you would want. My thoughts were that I could somehow open a form that shows just quarterbacks. I want that form to show the picture of the player, his team, and his position; the lower half would show 17 columns and 8 rows. The columns would be based on the week he played, the rows woulds consist of each stat the QB position can have (pass yards, pass attempts, pass completions, pass TD, rush yards, rush TD, etc.).

My current form shows everything above, except i can only get my query to show 1 stat for 1 week. I can't seem to solve how to show all weeks, and all possible stats.

I hope this clarifies, and sorry if I can't ask the right questions, I've not been using access for long, and just in my free time.

so I'd expect the process is to get your data sorted
    part of that is down to the final presentation

Im guessing you want the name of the player (or team or both) down the right hand side, but I don't have a clue what you'd want across the top .. do you wnat that game by game, skill by skill game and skill or whatever.

in order for a crosstab / pivot to work you need to start your base query with the data as a 1 dimensional data stream.
    then transpose it into a 2 dimensional "array"

but quite frankly I doubt I can help you further as you seem unable or unwilling to provide the data and or data structure
    you seem unable or unwilling to fully describe the problem you've got

I'd suggest you read up on crosstab / pivot tables in Access try it out and then come back as and if you hit a problem