Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Strange Variable Behavior in BD

To the BD Community,
    I am attempting to define some variable on a simple program. I 'think' it works as it does what it is supposed to do, however, when I step through the program using 'Script Debugging', the results I get on the left side of the screen ('Variables List' section) are all numeric (i.e., 1659 & 1547) instead of alpha characters (these should be names). What am I doing wrong - see attached screen shot of the scripting?

One more question... I am familiar with Visual Basic for Applications that runs in the background of EXCEL. When debugging that program, the user can hover above a variable and the user is able is see the current value of that variable. Is something like that available in Brilliant Database?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture1.jpg  

You have selected records. The left side numericals are records IDs.If you want teh value of a particular field of that record use the recordset format.

Provided Answers: 2
    asokram,
    I am not following you. What do you mean by use the recordset format? I tried what I 'think' you suggested and it did something totally wrong (it brought up a list to select from). The first variable was already made using this approach (using 'Add Variable', 'Recordset', 'Recordset=Input record(s) from a folder) and it does not show the proper value (it shows $rs=1659 when, in fact, it should show my name since that is what was selected). I don't think that these values are record ID's since the values change when I select another name - these may be files but I do not think it is reflecting records. Could you please be more specific on how to get the variable to reflect the actual, true value?

I looked at the user guide under the section of "Formatting Recordset Variables" and this makes absolutely no sense to me. I attempted to incorporate this using the example code and nothing would work (well, at least nothing I tried) - how does the user even add this line of code in as I could not find any option that would allow it? I am not sure that this is the right direction - why would the actual value selected NOT already appear when in the debugging mode?

I am not finding that 'ease of use' applies to this program... I could easily code the WHOLE procedure with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in minutes but, instead, I have spent 25 days with this and only have written nine questionable lines of code with this program and two of them are comments... and it still does not work.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Last edited by fireant911; 12-27-12 at 10:10.