Unanswered: Database corrupted...

hI,

This morning our database is corrupted (attached). When I tried to open it gives me error

"The microsoft office Access database engine could not find the 'Databases'. Make sure it exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

All our table and other objects are in one db only.

I need to cover only tables if possible.

Can someone help?

Ashfaque
    Attached Files Attached Files
    With kind regards,
    Ashfaque

Provided Answers: 14
    Unfortunately there is nothing that can be retrieved from the file you posted. Except for a few sparse and meaningless bytes here and there and what looks like the binary data for several properties of a form (or report) at the bottom, SureLevel.mdb only contains Null bytes (Hex. 0) when you open it with a Hex. editor. I sincerely hope you have a recent backup.
    Have a nice day!

Before you give up, try the following, which has worked for me in a pinch.

Create a new blank database. Open the new database. Click on the 'File' menu, and select "Get External Data--->Import". Navigate to the inoperative database, and double-click on it. You will see the "Import Objects" window with all its tabs. Go from tab to tab. At each tab, click on 'Select All'.

Click the 'Options' button, and select all checkboxes under 'Import'. Don't touch the radio buttons; they default correctly. This part will only be done once, not on all tabs.

When you're finished with all the tabs, click the 'OK' button, and go eat dinner. Depending on the version of Access you're using, and depending on the size of the database, it could take quite a while.

When the import action is complete, open the new db and make sure it's correct/complete. If it is, rename the old db, and rename (and put it in the correct folder if it's not there now) the new database with the old db's name.

This trick is a real life saver; it's saved me several times from the cliff.

Good luck,
    Sam

Provided Answers: 14
    Sam,

I tried what you suggested before posting my first answer. When you try to import from the corrupted database, Access displays an error message saying that the Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the 'Databases' object.

I also tried several other methods however nothing works. This is why I finally opened the database file with a hexadecimal editor, hoping that some data could be retrieved but to no avail.
    Have a nice day!

Thanks Sinndho & Sam,

As explained by Sinndho, I also tried the same tricks but no use.

I believe this the only drawback of Access db otherwize it is a excellent tool....I hope microsoft could something about this.

Thanks,
    With kind regards,
    Ashfaque

Provided Answers: 59
    It isn't the tools fault
    Go back to your most recent backup.
    Always take backups
    Always take backups before doing a compact and repair
    What happened immediately before the problems occurred
    Is this a single or multi user db
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Your frequent reference to 'our,' and the statement "All our table and other objects are in one db only," sounds as if this is a multi-user database that is not split into a Front End/Back End configuration. If this is so, it's probably the cause of your corruption.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

It was a single user unsplitted db. We have a backup but it is more than a month old. All records need to re-enter which is a big headache.....

We have splited it now but the re-entering all records of a month is troublesome.....

Anyhow thanks for all the gents who helped in any manner.
    With kind regards,
    Ashfaque

Provided Answers: 59
    well probably your users have learned the lesson
    they need to make certain that backups are done at an appropriate interval.
    you could also help matters by, say writing to an audit log what has been done
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Soory for your troubles, but here's an article by the 'Wonder from Down Under,' Allen Browne, on Preventing Corruption, that might be of interest:

Microsoft Access tips: Preventing corruption

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks,

Allen Browne's column looks interesting.

Thanks again to all gets.
    With kind regards,
    Ashfaque