Unanswered: Stop AutoCreate (.mdb) when close Access

I have a database 2007 (.accdb) that create a back up file (.mdb) on it own each time I close access program. I googled but no luck

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 19
    Is this your app or one developed by someone else? I ask because this certainly sounds like a custom feature. I've never heard of this kind of thing being native to Access. When you say a 'backup' file, what exactly does a typical file name look like?

Is it happening with one database or with all databases you run?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

it is my app modified from the sample Assets.accdb. I throw many VBA codes into it but don't think that would matter because nothing relate to back-up or compact repair. My original file name is ProductHold.accdb and the new file name is Database.mdb, Database1.mdb and then number increment by 1 each time I close database. This only happen for the app

Provided Answers: 19
    Aha! What is happening is that the 'Compact on Close' Option is on/selected! When this feature is turned on, it makes a backup copy of the DB, the does the Compact and Repair, and then, if things went well, is supposed to delete this backup copy.

Something goes wrong with this process, from time to time, in 2007, and the backup file doesn't get deleted. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact details, but IMHO, Compact and Repair should always be deselected! A C & R often causes corruption, and so a backup copy should be made independently before doing the procedure. It's a terrible feature, because of this, and there is really no need for doing it everytime the database is closed.

To deselect the Option, go to

1. Office Button (big, funny looking Access icon at top, left of screen
    2. Options (bottom, right)
    3. Current Database
    4. Untick 'Compact on Close'
    5. Click on OK

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007