Thread: List of Prices

Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: List of Prices

Greetings all,

I am the treasurer of a sailing club, and I would love to have a system for globally resetting fees (membership, haul out, docking, etc) every year. I could set global variables for each price in modules, but this seems risky (from what I have read) . I could set private variables in modules, and then use "getters" (a la Java) to get them. I could also try to set rates in tables (but this will require messy programming to access). Any advice?

Regards

J. Smith
    Aylmer, Quebec, Canada

Provided Answers: 14
    Your request is too general and vague. If you do not supply a minimum of information about the structures of your database (Tables, Columns in each table, Relationships), you will be very lucky to get any useful answer or advice.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 2
    I would probably have a pricing table, with links to products (and customers or pricing groups, if you're in the mood for really fine-tuning), and use a couple of date fields to control which price applies at which period.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Provided Answers: 1

Price Lists

All membership information, including the services used, are in a single table. Payments are kept in a linked table, and all billings are via queries based on the services used as found in the membership table. We are a small club of perhaps 250 members. My problem is pretty simple. I have a small number of prices that change annually:

dock price per foot
    winter storage price per foot
    haul out/in -- yard
    haul out/ in - parking lot
    membership fee
    crew fee

Queries do all the calculations, and boat owners tend to buy exactly the same services every year;the boat remains the same length, and every year must be placed in the water by a travel lift (haul out/in). However, every year, our membership (we are a non-profit) changes the various rates and fees. Because there are different categories of members and boats, I use 15 to 20 different queries to deal with different situations (long story). Every year, I must go back and change the actual amounts used in all the queries (for example, change "34.50" to "36.00" for dock rates per foot). How simple it would be to set a variable in a module (for example public constant dockRate = 36.00), and then use this constant "dockrate" in all the queries. Each year, I could then simply change each of these rates / fees in the module.

Is there a way of doing this?

Regards

John S
    Aylmer, Quebec

Provided Answers: 2
    It would be a lot simpler to maintain a table of prices and update that each year. This would remove the need to use the IDE to carry out what is routine business housekeeping.

As an aside, membership and subscription information really should not be kept in the same table. They are different and independent entities, and this mode will either lead to data duplication or records of uneven length - both of which will make your database harder to maintain and use.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.