Creating a Foreign Key cross-reference query

In my database I have a table that is used to store document references - namely the source of the data being captured in all other tables. I call this table "InfoSource". Thus each table in the database may have multiple foreign key references to an entry in "InfoSource".

For instance, in a table called "person" I may have the following fields: "birthday", "weight", "height", "favorite color". For each field I would have an additional field "birthday_infosource", "weight_infosource" etc. that is a foreign key to an entry in "InfoSource".

Now I would like to create a cross reference. Given a record in "InfoSource" which records across all other tables point to it?

Right now the way I do this is via a query with a bunch of unions, where I query each individual table. The drawback is that every time a new table is added or a table is changed, I have to update the cross-reference query.

Does it make sense to implement this via a stored procedure? In pseudo code I can think of something like this:
    Code:
    for each table

for each field with "InfoSource" in name"
    select record from InfoSource referenced by foreign key field
    Unfortunately, I have no idea how I'd begin to even implement this in a SP. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    Carlos
    Last edited by carlosn; 01-07-13 at 11:29. Reason: Fixed spelling errors :)

Granted that I'm an odd duck and my databases all have a common surrogate key structure (the keys aren't all exactly alike, but they are all single-column and one datatype). This would allow me to build one table to track usages (essentially identifying a column within a table), and then a simple table that tracked that usage along with a PK (Primary Key) value (from the row) and to associate that with a given InfoSource row (PK). Then it becomes a simple matter to index the association table and query to my heart's content!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosn View Post
    In my database I have a table that is used to store document references - namely the source of the data being captured in all other tables. I call this table "InfoSource".
    personally I call that an EAV type design, and it nearly always results in a nightmare. So much of so I avoid it like the plague
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    personally I call that an EAV type design, and it nearly always results in a nightmare. So much of so I avoid it like the plague
    OK - you caught my attention. Why would you say this is an EAV type design?

Data Model for EAV

Hi

This EAV Data Model omn my Database Answers Web Site might help you :-
    User-Defined Hierarchies Data Model

HTH

Barry Williams
    London, England

Yes, it's an EAV design.
    Yes, EAV should be avoided.

Consider using an XML datatype to store dissimilar fields, if your platform supports it.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com