Unanswered: Reference Book for complete beginner

I could use some advice for where to find any kind of reference material for someone who has never coded before. I followed some bad advice and started a program through skillsoft to learn sql. The concepts are coming on fast and I don't know where to find reference material that I can use. So far my googling and library browsing comes up with reference material that assumes a solid background in some kind of programming. I have none. Aside from asking questions, and I have many, are there any good books for non programmers wanting to learn sql.

And hopefully it would be written in plain language that could lead me to the terms I need to know. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to pick up a book or article with an interesting title see the comment "all you have to do is this..." followed by a bunch of commands that are meaningless right now.

Provided Answers: 54
    There's a book called Simply SQL that is written by Rudy Limeback. He frequently infests DBForums and is a long time co-conspirator of mine. That's a great start for a person trying to get started with SQL.

Odds are fairly good that he'll pop into this thread, I just called and rattled his cage about it.

As a side note to your original question, feel free to post any questions here. Most of the DBFroums denizens "speak geek" and are happy to both translate it into English and gleefully abuse newcomers!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Completely off-topic, but when my bride and i are talking about some change to the house, yard, etc, and she says "All you have to do is" . . .

I become afraid, Very afraid

hehe, no kidding. Thanks for the welcome. I'll post questions as they come up.

Provided Answers: 1
    Learning SQL is not going to be first step. Learn RDBMS and the Relational model to get the concepts. Having just said that, the best intro book I know is MANGA GUIDE TO DATABASE. Really!