Red face Unanswered: Help i need a mentor!!

Hello,

I posted previously asking for help with my DB project, I mentioned that I am pretty much a novice and have been put in a position where I desperately need to create a database to manage data for a college. The college is limited with funds and so we are unable to pay someone to make the database for us. I already created something along the lines of what I wanted, but as my DB knowledge is VERY patchy the DB needs working at for it to work the way I need it to. I have been directed to websites and looked at many books, but what I really need is someone who is willing to go through the problems with me and guide me on what needs to be done. I am not looking for someone to do everything for me as I am capable of doing the work with the right instructions.

I will be EXTREMELY grateful if someone can take a little time out to help, I don't know where else I can ask for help.

Provided Answers: 59
    thats what forums like this are for
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    As the man who'd rather be riding a two-wheelers said, that's why we're here! The appropriate protocol for getting help, here, or on any Access forum, is to present a single problem in a single thread, giving it an appropriate title so that members can tell the basics of what you are currently asking about. When you have another problem/question, create another thread. You really should read these instructions carefully, in order to get the best help possible:

http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...ml#post4534485

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 01-11-13 at 09:45.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

xD I did follow protocol for my first post.

http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...urriculum.html

*sighs* I need something a little more instant and direct...I looked at the links from the previous thread and found that I started to get confused with the normalization stuff

I did take into account what was said in the previous thread, but I haven't had time to go through implementing all off the suggested changes.
    Last edited by QurAdmin; 01-11-13 at 09:52.

Provided Answers: 59
    I can see why the last thread sort of petered out
    there isn't a question
    there is a clear problem identified

if you need a mentor then you probably need to find someone local who can help. forums like this are fine for specific localised problems however they are not and never can be as good as direct training. we can help but we cannot train.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

that's the problem I haven't got anyone I know locally that can help me. There were some online training courses where you get a 1 to 1 specific to what you require help with, but the costs are just too much.

Provided Answers: 19
    I understand that! I started out being self-taught in programming, back in the day before the internet existed, as it does today, and lived in the boondocks! Was developing apps for ten years before I ever talked with another programmer, much less met one!

Normalization is usually the first stumbling block, and as any experienced developer will tell you, it all begins with the data!

Depending on your locale, community colleges generally offer classes that do not require previous experience, and many larger cities actually have Access user/support groups that usually have members willing to mentor newbies.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

They do?? Would that also be the case in the UK? If so how can I can in touch with someone??

Ok so I have all the data I want to record, I know how I want to link everything, but I don't know how to link everything the correct way in Access and could do with step by step guidance that is EASY to understand. I could also do with someone talking me through it in case I don't get something :/

Provided Answers: 54
    SQL Server is Microsoft's "next step" beyond the database provided with most versions of Microsoft Access. The two products are actually quite compatible, so every minute that you spend working on SQL Server knowledge will be useful later on even if it isn't applicable at the moment. All of the general concepts and design issues learned using SQL Server can also be applied whether MS-Access is using SQL or another database engine.

Check out PASS - The Professional Association for SQL Server > Home and SQLSaturday Home for some options that are available both in the UK and across the world! Lots of free training is available, some via the web, some via monthly meetings nearby (often within 100 km), and others as a Saturday event. These events are all open to the public, and usually free or minimal charge. They offer great opportunities for training, fellowship, and a chance to meet others with similar interests and goals.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

thanks I will check it out.