Unanswered: records getting deleted

i have a database which will be open in two different systems some time and some times 1 or 2 records are getting deleted by itself without the user deleting
    can that be stopped or is there a way to find out which records are getting deleted
    the table has i autonumber field i came to know about this records deleting when i searched using autonumber

can anyone pls help me

Provided Answers: 59
    nope
    you don't know that rows are being deleted..

what you know is that there are missing numbers in the sequence.

but that can be perfectly normal behaviour. in an Access form if you move to a new record and start typing buyt then cancel thte new record BEFORE its inserted Access/JET will already have allocated the number. when you then cancle that row it doesn't re issue the number to someone else. granted your users COULD be deleting rows but I'd place my money on the former

do not place any value on Autonumber generated values outside the system. they have no meaning other than a mechanism to ensure rows have a unique reference. if you need to have contiguous numbers then you will need to create your own mechanism to do so. examples can be found in the code bank
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks for the reply

headlem sorry for delay in reply as i was out of work

i know surely the rows are getting deleted but not by users may be while using acess some thing is happening and rows are getting deleted.. i just want to find out which rows are getting deleted and can it be avoided and new entered rows backup can be taken

pls sugget

Provided Answers: 59
    What evidence do you have that rows are being deleted, and being deleted by other means than users.have you got proof that a row existed with data in that subsequently wend missing. And can you trust your users who probably will say the equivalent of 'wasn't me guy. I never touched it'.

If your application has some code that deletes rows then that would be the first point if call.

You could consider removing the delete privilege from users.

It is possible you have a corrupted DB. Consider taking a backup then doing a compact and repair.

You could diagnose if there is a problem by comparing the live data with backups and see wgats rows disappear.
    Last edited by healdem; 01-15-13 at 03:38.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks once again for reply

i have the evidenace of rows getting deleted may be the user does not know what mistake he is doing i myself have checked the data present in old backup exported excel file but now not present in table

when ever in open i get error message as

security warning : unsafe expressions are not blocked

do you want to block unsafe expresions or not

can auto back of db possible before error messages

this database does not have any user security now how to make user security so that they will not ahve delete access

can you pls suggets
    Last edited by eddi; 01-15-13 at 04:20.

added lines