Unanswered: Linked Server Issue to update Progress Database Merant 3.60

Hi:
    I am currently using sql server 2000. I also using Merant 3.60 32 Bit Progress Sql 92v9.1c progress driver. I am trying to retrieve information from sql server 2000. Based on the result set. I will need to update the progress database. I created a linked server to access the progress database. I had no issue when I used a select statement.

My linked server is called "test_server"
    User Name = pub
    Table Name =xx-xx
    Column Name = wc

Here is my select statement.
    select * from test_server..pub."xx-xx" where wc='a'
    I was able to return with data.

But when I tried to use an update statement. It does not work. I am not even sure if it is possible to use linked-server connection to update the progress database or if my syntax is incorrect.

Here is my update statement:
    UPDATE OPENQUERY (test_server, 'SELECT wc from pub.[xx-xx] where wc = ''b''') SET wc= 'a'

This is the error that I received.
    An error occurred while preparing a query for execution against OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Syntax error (7587)]
    OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' ICommandPrepare::Prepare returned 0x80040e14].

Any idea?
    Thanks for your assistance.
    kkmickey

Posting "it did not work" if probably the bigest waste of time on the forum . . .

WHAT did not work? Syntax error, ABEND, ETC?

I know it is a waste of time if I am not specific. But I did specify it. I am sorry if my message confuses you.

In my thread : I said the update statement does not work.

Here is my update statement:
    UPDATE OPENQUERY (test_server, 'SELECT wc from pub.[xx-xx] where wc = ''b''') SET wc= 'a'

This is the error that I received.
    An error occurred while preparing a query for execution against OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Syntax error (7587)]
    OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' ICommandPrepare::Prepare returned 0x80040e14].

Thank you.

Provided Answers: 54
    You can't use the square brackets in PROGRESS. The ODBC parser is complaining because it can not parse them.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat:

If I use

UPDATE OPENQUERY (test_server, 'SELECT wc from pub.xx-xx where wc = ''b''')
    SET wc= 'a'

This is the error that I got

[OLE/DB provider returned message: [MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Table/View/Synonym not found (7519)]

Thanks
    kkmickey

Then you appear to have access to the PROGRESS database using OpenQuery. Since xx-xx is not a valid PROGRESS name, you must be using some other query than what you are posting. According to the error message you posted, something in the query string that you're using does not exist in the PROGRESS database.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat

This is the select statement that I use.

SELECT wc from test_server..pub."ux-wc" where wc = 'a'

This will work. The table does exist. It will return data back.

But when I use the update Openquery. It gives the error message.

UPDATE OPENQUERY (test_server, 'SELECT wc from pub.ux-wc where wc = ''a''')
    SET wc= 'b'

kkmickey

I'm assuming that test_server is just what its name imples, a test server and emphatically NOT a production server. If this is not correct, do not try the code below!

Just to get connectivity and other issues out of the way so that we can focus on the meat of the problem, please try:
    Code:
    UPDATE test_server..pub."ux-wc"
       SET wc = 'b'
       WHERE wc = 'a'
    Does that do what you want?

-PatP

Pat:

I have attached two screen prints to this post.
    One is for the select statement. And the other one is for the update statement.

Thanks,
    kkmickey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG   Capture_1.PNG  

That one beats me. I suspect that the problem lies with the Merant ODBC driver, but I can't absolutely prove it.

At least you now have a great case to submit to tech support. Sorry I can't be of more help.

-PatP

I appreciate your help.

Thanks again.