Unanswered: Problem with query criteria

Guys i have a problem in the criteria in my query. It says that "Data type mismatch"

Here is my code...
    I think the problem here is the format coz i dont know what's really the exact format. Please see in my IF Else Statement...

Dim ext
    ext = ""
    Dim Sql

Sql = "SELECT Employee.EmployeeID, Employee.LastName, Employee.FirstName, Employee.MiddleName, BadgeStatus.BStatus, BadgeStatus.Remarks, Badge.BadgeNo, BadgeStatus.DteDeactivated, Badge.CardType, Employee.Program, RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.LastName]),[Employee.LastName],''))+', '+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.FirstName]),[Employee.FirstName],''))+' '+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.MiddleName]),[Employee.MiddleName],'')) AS name, Badge.ActivationDate, Format([Badge.ActivationDate],'mm/dd/yyyy') AS dteAct, Employee.SiteCode, UCase(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.SiteCode]) Or ([Employee.SiteCode])='',[Employee.SiteCode],'No Site Code')) AS Usitecode, Badge.Reason, UCase(IIf(([Badge.Reason]) Like 'New Card' & '*','New Card','Replacement')) AS card " & _
    " FROM Employee INNER JOIN (Badge INNER JOIN BadgeStatus ON Badge.BadgeNo = BadgeStatus.BadgeNo) ON Employee.EmployeeID = Badge.EmployeeID" & _
    " GROUP BY Employee.EmployeeID, Employee.LastName, Employee.FirstName, Employee.MiddleName, BadgeStatus.BStatus, BadgeStatus.Remarks, Badge.BadgeNo, BadgeStatus.DteDeactivated, Badge.CardType, Employee.Program, RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.LastName]),[Employee.LastName],''))+', '+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.FirstName]),[Employee.FirstName],''))+' '+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.MiddleName]),[Employee.MiddleName],'')) AS name, Badge.ActivationDate, Format([Badge.ActivationDate],'mm/dd/yyyy') AS dteAct, Employee.SiteCode, UCase(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.SiteCode]) Or ([Employee.SiteCode])='',[Employee.SiteCode],'No Site Code')) AS Usitecode, Badge.Reason, UCase(IIf(([Badge.Reason]) Like 'New Card' & '*','New Card','Replacement')) "

If Forms!ChooseBadgeReport!cboSpecificProgram.Value = "All" Then
    ext = " HAVING Badge.ActivationDate >= '" & [Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![dteFrom] And "Badge.ActivationDate <='" & [Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![DteTO] & "' "
    Else
    ext = " HAVING Badge.CardType= '" & [Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![cboSpecificProgram] & "' And Badge.ActivationDate >= '" & [Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![dteFrom] & "' And Badge.ActivationDate <='" & [Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![DteTO] & "' "
    End If

Sql = Sql + ext
    Me.RecordSource = Sql

Provided Answers: 59
    that error message usually means you are supplying a value of the wrong datatype
    it probably means you have a string/text value that isn't escaped with a ' or ".
    can we see the actual SQL as opposed toyour VB that creates the SQL?

in VBA the string concatenation symbol is & NOT +, although the JIT will try to handle + as & where it can

do you need to do the formatting as part of the query?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So what's the real concatenation sir?

Provided Answers: 14
    I might be wrong but this part of the expression renders me suspiscious:
    Code:
    "Badge.ActivationDate <='" & [Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![DteTO] & "' "
    1. Date values, should be enclosed between pound (or number) characters (#), not between single quotes (').

2. When used in a SQL or VBA expression, date values must be in "mm/dd/yyyy" (or "yyyy-mm-dd") format.
    Have a nice day!

This is my error..please see attached file...

Any reply would be much appreciated

thanx..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

as said before can we see the SQL?

if the worst comes to the worst dump it out as a msgbox
    or debug.print SQL

this sort of error is going to be a pig to track down looking at the VBA

This is the SQL

SELECT Employee.EmployeeID, Employee.LastName, Employee.FirstName, Employee.MiddleName, BadgeStatus.BStatus, BadgeStatus.Remarks, Badge.BadgeNo, BadgeStatus.DteDeactivated, Badge.CardType, Employee.Program, RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.LastName]),[Employee.LastName],""))+", "+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.FirstName]),[Employee.FirstName],""))+" "+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.MiddleName]),[Employee.MiddleName],"")) AS name, Badge.ActivationDate, Format([Badge.ActivationDate],"mm/dd/yyyy") AS dteAct, Employee.SiteCode, UCase(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.SiteCode]) Or ([Employee.SiteCode])="",[Employee.SiteCode],"No Site Code")) AS Usitecode, Badge.Reason, UCase(IIf(([Badge.Reason]) Like "New Card" & '*',"New Card","Replacement")) AS card
    FROM Employee INNER JOIN (Badge INNER JOIN BadgeStatus ON Badge.BadgeNo=BadgeStatus.BadgeNo) ON Employee.EmployeeID=Badge.EmployeeID
    GROUP BY Employee.EmployeeID, Employee.LastName, Employee.FirstName, Employee.MiddleName, BadgeStatus.BStatus, BadgeStatus.Remarks, Badge.BadgeNo, BadgeStatus.DteDeactivated, Badge.CardType, Employee.Program, RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.LastName]),[Employee.LastName],""))+", "+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.FirstName]),[Employee.FirstName],""))+" "+RTrim(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.MiddleName]),[Employee.MiddleName],"")), Badge.ActivationDate, Employee.SiteCode, UCase(IIf(Not IsNull([Employee.SiteCode]) Or ([Employee.SiteCode])="",[Employee.SiteCode],"No Site Code")), Badge.Reason, UCase(IIf(([Badge.Reason]) Like "New Card" & '*',"New Card","Replacement"))
    HAVING (((Badge.ActivationDate)>=[Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![dteFrom] And (Badge.ActivationDate)<=[Forms]![ChooseBadgeReport]![dteTo]))
    ORDER BY Employee.LastName

still using the + to concatenate strings not &

personally I'd strip out all the IIF's (at least for now) and do that via the front end
    likewise date formatting, easy to do in the front end, just confuses the SQL here

you can use the NZ function in place of the IIF
    im not convinced [Employee.FirstName] is legal, you only need the square brackerts if there is a space in the table or column name
    eg:-
    [my table name].[my column name]
    you only need to qualify the column name with a table name if there is a column of the same name in more than one table referrred to in the select or join table definitions

check the date columns actually have dates in them (no NULLS)

what I'd suggest you do is paste the whole query into the query designer SQL pane and then refine it section by section
    omit the group by and having sub clauses for now
    consider pushing the formatting of the names into a function and returns, say, 'd j rods'

Thank you very much

It works fine already.