How to create an employee database

I am new to creating databases, but I am trying to create an employee database to hold all of an employees information.

Employee Information Includes:

Name
    Social Security #
    Date of Birth
    Address, City, State, Zip
    Drivers License #
    Drivers license state
    Drivers License Exp. Date
    Medical Card Exp. Date
    CDL Classification
    Union Home Local
    Union Ticket #
    Union Classification
    Emergency Contact Name
    Emergency Contact Relationship
    Emergency Contact Phone Number

I also want the database to be "searchable" so that I can search for a certain employee.

We are in the construction industry so we do not have steady work. We hire people and lay them off when we run out of work. I would like to incorporate working dates for each employees as well as short notes on how the employee worked during those date (ex. safe and productive or caused trouble).

For Example: Employee John Doe worked for us from 11/27/2012 - 12/23/2012. Employee worked safe and productive, layed off due to a lack of work.

But I would like to be able to add working dates everytime this employee works for us. That maybe 10 times within the coarse of a year or it maybe twice and he was fired for some reason.

I would also like to be able to keep a record of any driving tickets or any safety violations they receive.

Not sure which program to use or how to create this type of database. I have a mac computer so, I know there are less programs for mac than there are PC.

All Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bmonaweck View Post

Not sure which program to use or how to create this type of database. I have a mac computer so, I know there are less programs for mac than there are PC.
    There may be fewer business programs for Mac, I don't know if it's the case anymore, -- but you only need one. Take a look at Bento: Personal Database and Organizer Software | Bento 4

There are a number of database templates developed by the community (Database Templates For Bento | Bento Template Exchange). You will likely find one that's close to what you need, then you can adjust it to your liking.

I think it would be wise to also invest in a book about developing with Bento, such as Amazon.com: Using FileMaker Bento (9780789744487): Jesse Feiler: Books
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

... I have a mac computer so, I know there are less programs for mac than there are PC.
    Free: IBM DB2 Express-C supports Mac OS X(DB2 version is 10.1).
    Download : IBM DB2 Express-C 10.1.2

Download IBM® DB2® Express-C 10.1.2, a no-charge version of DB2 Express database server.
    It is a fully licensed product available for free download.
    It does not have any time restrictions or database size limitations.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I am going to download and give IBM DB2 a shot. I want to be able to open this database on both mac and pc (other representatives from our company use Windows 7) and IBM DB@ is available for download on both as Bento is not.

Thanks,

Brian

Just so you know, you cannot easily move a DB2 database between OS X and Windows. If you intend to run a copy of DB2 on each user's workstation or laptop, you'll face the problem of synchronising databases.

DB2 is primarily intended to be running on a server, managing a central database there, which is accessed by remotely connected client applications. In that case the fact that it can be installed on multiple platforms is moot, as you only install it on one platform, whatever it is.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    Just so you know, you cannot easily move a DB2 database between OS X and Windows. If you intend to run a copy of DB2 on each user's workstation or laptop, you'll face the problem of synchronising databases.

DB2 is primarily intended to be running on a server, managing a central database there, which is accessed by remotely connected client applications. In that case the fact that it can be installed on multiple platforms is moot, as you only install it on one platform, whatever it is.

n_i,

Do you know of any other programs that will be compatible on both mac and pc? I tried DB2 the pc i have in my office and it is pretty complex. That or I am doing something incorrectly.

I am looking for something simple that will work on mac and pc.

Thanks

SQL Lite
    run the db on a central server then any db server would work
    run the db on a webserver and use a web scritping language (ASP, PHP and so on) to provide the front end (the user interface)
    ditch the MAC in favour of a useful as opposed to pretty computer
    Filemaker (in my books a truly hideous product, but its form Apple Corp so it 'must be good')
    use the WINE emulator and run any supported db

the problem you are going to face is that if you have multi users then you should either
    design for a central db containing all the data which is then accessed locally
    or
    design some sort of federating db structure, where every user has their own copy of the data, and periodically re syncs with the master copy of the data. however that ISN'T for the feint hearted
    I guess it depends on how you see the application being used

in any event have (at least 2 tables)
    one for the employee
    one for each hiring linked to the employee table on employee id
    ..other tables as required
    eg
    project also linked to hiring table, but on project ID (So you can find employees who worked on a specifric project)

the trick is going to be how you defien the HiringsTable and defien its PK
    whether you include the start / end date as part of priamry key alongside employee id +(optioanlly project id)
    or you use an autogenerated ID in place of other data.
    Last edited by healdem; 01-30-13 at 12:54.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by bmonaweck View Post
    n_i,

Do you know of any other programs that will be compatible on both mac and pc?

Apache OpenOffice Base or its relative http://www.libreoffice.org/features/base/
    ---