Post Unanswered: Many to Many.. too Many?

Hey, hope the title wasn't deceiving. I am trying to create a database of my companies quotes, seems simple till I started to try to design it. I think I have it now but am lost when it comes to "price".

I want the Quote table to list the cost of the quote - derived from the list of inventory and price for each item, the inventory is where my first problem is.

Each Item in inventory can have multiple costs, depending where it is purchased from. Each company can have multiple items. I want to list it and be able to have the lowest cost shown for each Item.

I hope that made sense, I am new to database's and would appreciate any help that I can get.

Provided Answers: 59
    many to many is usually modelled as an intersection table
    where the 'parent' tables primary keys (usually 2 but can be more) are storee in the intersection table as (usually a composite primary key) adn any other data that is relevant to that intersection.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So am I on the right path? I want Many to Many connecting Company with price.. maybe I am not understanding this right.

Should I have a table full of prices (numbers) with a M2M relationship to a table full of company names the same M2M relationship connected to the item table?

I hope that made sense.
    Last edited by NewbWan; 01-16-13 at 12:11. Reason: Missed word