Unanswered: SQLExecute( ) Fails with SQLSTATE=42601

I am trying to learn ODBC/CLI Programming so please bear with me if this appears silly, but I am not able to resolve an apparently simple issue. I have posted the relevant portions of the code below.

The problem is that the SQLExecute () fails with SQLSTATE=42601. The exact error message that I get is "0x00167250 "[IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0007N The character " " following "ΜΜΜΜΜΜ©%|I0ύ" is not valid. SQLSTATE=42601"

Can someone please help me point out issues / ways to debug this Issue on MS Visual Studio 2012 (Express). (DB2 Express C Version 10.1.2)

I have checked the manuals and the SQLSTATE refers to an invalid character in the Query String. As far as I understand, there isn't any! Nor am I able to figure it out from the Error message produced. Please help!

Regards,

/* Define a SELECT SQL Statement That uses a Paramter
    Marker. !! Protect from Buffer Overflow !! */

strcpy((char *) sqlQuery, "SELECT EMPNO, LASTNAME FROM ");
    strcat((char *) sqlQuery, "EMPLOYEE WHERE JOB = ?");

/*Prepare the SQL Statement */
    sqlReturnCode = SQLPrepare(*StmtHandle,
    (SQLCHAR*) sqlQuery,
    SQL_NTS);

if (sqlReturnCode != SQL_SUCCESS){
    //Free Connection Handle
    //Free Environment Handle
    GetCLIErrorInfo(SQL_HANDLE_STMT, *StmtHandle);
    return -60;
    }

sqlReturnCode = SQLBindParameter(*StmtHandle,
    SQL_PARAM_INPUT,
    SQL_C_CHAR,
    SQL_CHAR,
    sizeof(jobType),
    jobType,
    sizeof(jobType),
    NULL);

return -70;
    }

/*Populate the Bound Application Variable*/
    strcpy((char*) jobType, "DESIGNER");

/*Execute the SQL Statement*/
    sqlReturnCode = SQLExecute(*StmtHandle);

//Free Connection Handle
    //Free Environment Handle
    return -80;
    }

Provided Answers: 11
    you could activate the trace from db2cli.ini and see what is transmitted to the db/query
    Tracing the CLI driver by using the db2cli.ini file - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I did what you stated and I have a trace log as well however, I don't see any SQL query in the log file! Could you please have a look and suggest where I am going wrong?

I have attached the source file and trace log. Please have a look.

Code : http://codepad.org/ap8JCSgL
    Trace : http://codepad.org/grxhMf3P

Regards

[Edit]

Hi,

I'm sorry I am editing my earlier reply, but I'm not sure if this is appropriate. I have managed to figure out the Issue I guess. I had compiled the code and used "Unicode Character Set" which resulted in an invalid string being passed to SQLPrepare ( ) . (Not sure how it returned a successful completion code though!)

I compiled the code again, and this time used "Multi-Byte Character Set". I can finally see the SQL query in the trace log and the error that I get is "[IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N "DB2ADMIN.EMPLOYEE" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704" and it looks like an access Issue.

Pardon me, but I have never worked with a relational database before. I know this is something silly but please help!

New Trace Log : http://codepad.org/ylQIfWDt

[/Edit]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BumbleI3ee; 01-23-13 at 14:09.

@ Guy

Thanks for the help. The trace clinched it! I have managed to setup the Right Schemas, granted appropriate privileges to the user ID and I've been able to fetch a record from the table. Much appreciated. Thanks!