Good Afternoon,

I'm new to PHP and mySql, but I was able to follow instructions and put together a website that up until this point was running smoothly (nickyclasses.com).

I upgraded my mac os to os 10.6.3 and this is when I noticed I was having some issues.I opened my website files in Dreamweaver to update some content and found that upon testing the updates locally, I would received an error message to the effect of "unable to connect to the database".

After some research, and because of the fact that I wasn't even able to log in to phpmyadmin with the correct username and password... I found a few sites suggesting that a mysql password reset might help. Using the code listed below, that's what I did, however, after resetting the password I ran into two more problems...

1. even though I was now able to sign in to phpmyadmin, my websites database had disappeared.

2. If I went to the live site via Safari or Google Chrome and tried to login to the "Lab Monitor" page, everything seemed to be working fine. But, if I went to the live site via Firefox or Internet Explorer and logged in, it does not work. Even stranger... when I go to my hosting companies site and pull up my database using phpmyadmin through them... I can only sign in with my old username and password and I can see my entire database still there. It almost seems like the password reset created two mysql areas??

I'm really not sure how else to describe it, but any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. In the end, I would like to be able to test my website locally again... as well as reconnect the live site to the appropriate mysql database, so that everything works properly again.

TERMINAL CODE

Last login: Sat Jan 19 20:00:25 on ttys000
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server stop
Password:
Shutting down MySQL
. SUCCESS!
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server start --skip-grant-tables
Starting MySQL
.. SUCCESS!
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ --skip-networking
-bash: --skip-networking: command not found
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server start --skip-grant-tables --skip-networking
Starting MySQL
SUCCESS!
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ mysql
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1
Server version: 5.5.29 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('casey66')
-> WHERE User='root';
Query OK, 4 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 4 Changed: 4 Warnings: 0

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.39 sec)

mysql> exit
Bye
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server stop
Shutting down MySQL
. SUCCESS!
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server start
Starting MySQL
.. SUCCESS!
nicole-beltrans-macbook-pro:~ nickybel$