Question Unanswered: Access report date shows ######

Hi all, new member here.

I am using a database program set up by someone else years ago.

When I run a Job Cost report for certain months, all the dates in the Date field on the report are suddenly showing as #######.

Example:

Date Task hours cost
    ######## setup .75 $35.00
    ######## grind 1.0 $78.50
    ######## coat 1.5 $127.50
    etc.

Some months are just fine, ie all of October shows proper dates, but all of November will show #######.

I assume this is due to a bad record in the Task entry database, but I have no idea what to look for.

I realize this is very general info, but I am hoping someone has seen this before and can point me in a direction to start looking.

Any help is much appreciated.

Provided Answers: 19
    In later versions of Access, I believe it started with v2007, if a Control that displays a Number Field doesn't have enough space to display the entire Field, it substitutes ####### across the Control, alerting the user to this fact, as it does in MS Excel. This only occurs if the 'Check for Truncated Number Fields' Option is ticked, under Access Options - Current Database. Testing shows that it does the same thing for a Date/Time Field, probably because 'under the hood,' as it were, a Date/Time Field is actually stored as a Number Field (Double/Floating, I believe) and so the Access Gnomes are treating it as a Number.

The reason some months/days show and others don't?

October 1, 2012
    November 30, 2012
    May, 30, 2012

The Textbox holding the Field is wide enough for displaying the October and May dates, but not wide enough to display the longer November date.

Solution, make your Form's Textbox a little bit wider on the report.

BTW, if the 'Check for Truncated Number Fields' Option is not ticked, you would just see a bit of the date displayed, which is kind of odd looking!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you Linq for your quick reply!

I will check into the possibility you suggest.

Appreciate your help very much!

Edit to add:

Ok, I checked into the date format. It's as follows:

Jan-01-2012
    Feb-01-2012
    etc.

I went through the reports and the dates show just fine for Jan, Feb, Apr, Jun, Jul, Sep & Oct.

Mar, May, Aug, Nov & Dec all come up as ###########.

So since all dates are being abbreviated to a 3-letter format, I don't think it can be an issue with month name, especially with February having the same number of letters as November, but Feb dates shown fine.

Any other suggestion to check?

Again, thanks.
    Last edited by aaxof; 01-23-13 at 16:48.

Sometimes, "#" is used to note a calculation error. Are you perhaps adding/subtracting days and coming up with illegal dates, such as 3/32/13?

Sam

Provided Answers: 19
    #Error is used to indicate that Access cannot evaluate an expression used in a calculation.

A series of hash marks #####, as reported by the OP, indicates, as I said, that the Control is too narrow to display the entire data.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007