Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: You do not have exclusive access to the database...

I posted this the other day and then reposted as resolved after importing into a new container, but the issue has not resolved itself.

there are two issues that are quite capable of sending me "postal" if I cannot clear them up.

Issue 1
    On my desk top with noone connected to my machine - i can be working in my master frontend and all of a sudden after making multiple changes - i get the you "do not have exclusive rights..." to the data base error and I cannot save anything. I look at the laccdb file and my machinename is in there multiple times - but the strange thing is - the laccdb file is being deleted when i exit so I know there is no issue with deleting that file or it hanging and allowing me to make my machine name entry multiple times.

There may be a pattern with compiling the database and then compacting to test results - that "seems" to create the multiple entries. it is driving me crazy because it is consistently inconsistent in that it will happen several times in a day but no warning or pattern how it happens. Holding th eshift key sometimes seems to be the ticket and then all of the sudden i get that error and sure enough my machjine name is in that file 3 times or more even.

Issue 2 :

On the server a backend database seems to be deleting the laccdb file "sometimes" and most of the time it will not self delete when the last user exits. I have seen user machine names in that file 4, 5, or 6 times and it seems to slow down vba data processes when this is happenning. All users have the same rights (group assignment) and there is no pattern.

***Observation*** can mixed Service paks of office cause any problem like this? that is my only guess as I have been tracking these issues for weeks and i cannot define a clear pattern to either of the issues other then i have soem users on sp1 and others are not.

I have decompiled / recompiled
    exported the project to text files
    created new containers and imported
    even recreated objects from scratch and still the behaviors persist.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dale Houston, TX

Are you sure that there aren't multiple db's open, and the record-locking files aren't from more than one db? Do you write to linked tables in other db's? I've seen strange things happen with record-locking files when using linked tables.

Sam

the scenario is that the front end on my desktop does in fact link to backend tables - but no one has access to my front end - and in fact I can go to design mode and make changes then 20 minutes later i try to make and save additional changes and it will not let me.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 59
    are you opening up a form, report or other object via code, and not closing the objects when done
    or are you changing something in a form or report or similar object and not saving or discarding the changes. ie has the runtime noted you have made edits to an object and switched mode to exclusives (but in a code module)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

No the main navigation form is unbound with a few bound list boxes but nothing i am creating from recordsets in code. Weird thin is I can go into design mode and make changes and then come back out - go into design mode and get the error. Also i notice that my laccdb file is bloating with multiple entries of me in it - although I remain in only one session of access
    Dale Houston, TX

I think it is a windows 7 sp1 issue coupled with an access 2010 sp1 issue. So i amn researching that direction - UtterAccess has some fantastic threads outlining my exact problem so i am also looking at that - it is so darn invasive though - I spend about 30 minutes a day now closing backing up /saving and reopening my application not to mention troubleshooting this over the last month.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 59
    Think positive
    at least you have been able to download and upgrade / update W7 to SP1, my systems have been trying off and on for over a year and keep crapping out with download errors
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem - you and pkstormy along with izyrider (who I have not heard from in a long time) are truly 3 people who think out of the box and consistently out think me, and now I must add another - Sam landy - you both were spot on

A few months ago I added a versioning check that verified a string in a table in the backend data - but that table was not linked - I accessed that string via

Set db = OpenDatabase("P:\SNX Brownfield\Construction\JobCard Production\Job Card Data\Dynamic_Data.accdb")
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT [BEVersion] FROM tblcmsversion")

and even though i was closing and killing the recordset - and issuing a db.close and set db = nothing

it was still making multiple entries into the laccdb file - which in turn would not allow me to gain exclusive control to my own front end.

I assumed the killing of the db object should have prevented this but the entry to the laccdb had already been made thereby preventing me an exclusive entry - thank you so much.

Now all i have to do is figure out why I am getting those multiple locks on the backend - who knows maybe both symptoms will clear up.
    Dale Houston, TX

H'mmm. Try linking to the table in the other db and open up the query in your local db. Maybe both problems will indeed clear up.

Sam

This issue has been bugging me for months and just finally made a change that fixed it for me. For each page go to Property Sheet; Other; Cycle. Change Cycle to Current Page. Done.

I haven't had the problem since.

I have had the same issue, resolved by the above suggestion. I have a split database, sharing and other settings set correctly, 5 users. It has not given that message for 2 years, since I split the database. This week for some unknown reason it started again. Tried rebooting, helped yesterday, not today. The laccdb files go away when no one has the database open. I can open the laccdb files to see who has it open, all looks normal as it shows the correct names of the computers that have it open. But it still would give that exclusive rights error message if anyone had it open and the next person tried to open a details form. Changing that 'cycle' to 'current page' on the details form fixed the issue. Maybe it's a work around for something else going on, but I don't care, it's fixed for now!!

Thanks for posting donydog!