Unanswered: resetting starting number in autonumber field

I have a table that is used for data entry with a form.
    its a detail listing out the parts that make the whole, so multiple rows. I need each row given a numeric value (1..2..3..etc) now, this table is represent the details of one summary item so the auto numeric field needs to revert back to 1 after entry of the details are finished and the summary item and its details are posted to the final tables...

is there a command that will reset the autonumber counter back to 1?
    thanks
    Kevin

Provided Answers: 14
    Yes there is but you're not supposed to use it that way. An AutoNumber field is supposed to contain a UNIQUE value for the whole table. If you feel adventurous you can use (the constant c_SQL in the following VBA procedure contains the SQL DDL expression):
    Code:
    Sub ResetCounter()
    '
    ' Reset the Autonumber column named SysCounter of the table
    ' named Table1 to an initial value of 1 with an increment of 1.
    '
        Const c_SQL As String = "ALTER TABLE Table1 ALTER COLUMN SysCounter COUNTER(1,1);"
        CurrentDb.Execute c_SQL, dbFailOnError

End Sub
    However, you're heading to big troubles, fast!

It would be smarter to keep the AutoNumber column as it is and use a query including a COUNT() function with a sub-query to emulate a ROW_COUNT inside a subset. However, it's difficult to provide any example without knowing the name of the table and the names and types of its columns.
    Have a nice day!

yes, i understand that the auto number is to represent a unique record, and it will. well, in the temp table that is.

I have two tables. one is a header, second is the detail.
    its sort of a shopping list for different people.

Person A is shopping at store A on X date...this holds the header
    Person A buys 1 shirt for D$ - item #1. 2 pairs of shoes for D$ -item #2, etc
    When the detail list is finished, the user then processes the data and the detail temp data is pushed over to a permanent detail table where the item # is no longer a unique id, the combination of two fields from the header table and the item # from the temp detail tbl is the key that cant exist more than once.

So I need the item # in the detail table to always start at 1 when we begin a new person and date. I have been instructed that the data entry person should not need to enter in the item # in the detail list, that it should be done for them. I agreed, I just didnt know how to reset the auto number so it does.

i did a work around but wasnt happy with it.
    I will try out your suggestion, i hope it works.
    I will let you know either way.

thanks

You're welcome!

Please post information about the structures of the tables (name, columns names and data types) if you finally decide to solve the problem using a more canonical way (sub-query to emulate a ROW_COUNT inside a subset).
    Have a nice day!

ok, so its not working because...
    the table i want to reset is in a subform in the form that i am running the code from, so the table is still open and the VB runtime error is: "The database engine could not lock table 'tbl_temp_tripticket_lineitem' because it is already in use by another person or process.

oh, i got an idea....

Ok, its not working. i cant seem to release the table for the code to work.
    then i put the code on another form and i am getting a "syntax error in field definition on the line of code:
    CurrentDb.Execute c_SQL, dbFailOnError

Im not sure what I am going to do.

All I can say is : "I told you so" !
    Have a nice day!