M2M Relationship Field - configuring 'Selection'

I have a Many-to-Many Relationship Field. Within the Form Editor, Individual Properties, Configure Appearance, Rows, and within the Selection area there is a box that states "Hide selection for columns with color rules". Based on this description, this is exactly what I need to do (the color rules analyze the dates and depending on the date, the field color changes - this part works). However, when I click the box and go back to 'Return to Database', and go to this particular M2M field it looks no different than before. I understand that the selection defaults to the first value within the M2M field but I am seeing no difference in the field's behavior regardless of whether the box is checked or not. Does anyone understand how that checkbox is supposed to work?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails checkbox.jpg  

Yes, that feature does not work. I have add empty record at top of the field. So i can see color rules.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foto..JPG  

MacHeuS,
    Thank you again! I just assumed it was 'operator error' on my part. I feel better knowing that a seasoned expert like you has already investigated this issue and discovered that this feature does not work properly.
    Daryl G