Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: Questions about Online REORG

We are using DB2 V9.5 on linux.

I have some questions about using online reorg.

1) If an online reorg is in progress, and I do a online backup of the database, what is the condition of the restored table that was being reorged if I restore the backup to another server?

2) Similar question, if an online reorg is in progress and the database crashes, what is the state of the table after crash recovery? Would the reorg just be terminated and can be restarted?

3) Similar question, if an online reorg is in progress, what is the condition of the table if all connections are forced? (like for performing maintenance).

Thanks,

Andy

Provided Answers: 11
    maybe this entry from the doc can help :

If the failure is during runtime, the online table reorganization is paused and rolled back. If the system goes down, on restart, crash recovery begins and the reorganization is paused and rolled back. Later on, you can resume the reorganization by specifying the RESUME option with the REORG TABLE command. Since the online table reorganization process is fully logged, it is guaranteed that reorganization is recoverable.
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    maybe this entry from the doc can help :

If the failure is during runtime, the online table reorganization is paused and rolled back. If the system goes down, on restart, crash recovery begins and the reorganization is paused and rolled back. Later on, you can resume the reorganization by specifying the RESUME option with the REORG TABLE command. Since the online table reorganization process is fully logged, it is guaranteed that reorganization is recoverable.
    I figured that some rollback would occur, but how far? Does it go back to the beginning or does the online reorg have commit points while in progress?

Also if I pause an online reorg for maintenance and the database gets stopped. Will RESUME on the reorg work properly?

Thanks,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    I figured that some rollback would occur, but how far? Does it go back to the beginning or does the online reorg have commit points while in progress?

Also if I pause an online reorg for maintenance and the database gets stopped. Will RESUME on the reorg work properly?

Thanks,

Andy
    I beleive the "commit interval" it is one extent.

Online table reorganization

Yes, if you pause your online reorg and then restart the db, the resume will work.
    In the same link above, you should find details of where the info is held.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks for you insights.

Andy