Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Data-Entry property not working

I have set a form's data entry property to "yes" but it is still only showing the current records and not even allowing me to create a new record, why?

is the underlying recordset updateable
    is it a query or table
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

It is an updatable table

It's an obvious question, but is the Form's AllowAdditions Property set to 'Yes?'

Also, is this a 'free-standing' Form, i.e. not one being used as a Subform?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The Devil's in the Details!!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes it is.

it is a form with a sub-form in it. However I have also set the sub-form to have data-entry too and still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kkid View Post

...I have also set the sub-form to have data-entry too...
    This sounds as if you have the Data Entry Property on the Main Form set to 'Yes,' as well! If that's true you need to change that, on the Main Form.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

I want both the main form and sub-form to have data-entry.

nevertheless, I still tried setting the main form's property to No and the issue still occurred.

The Sub-form is acting as a data-entry form perfectly fine but it is just this main form which is acting up. It still displays record "1 of 6" at the bottom and the new record button is greyed out.

Quote Originally Posted by kkid View Post

...I want both the main form and sub-form to have data-entry...
    Two things:

First, you do understand, do you not, that having Data Entry set to 'Yes' is not necessary in order to Add/Edit Records, correct? Data Entry, set to 'Yes,' allows you to only Add New Records. Adding Records only requires that the Recordset be updatable and having the AllowAdditions Property set to 'Yes.

Secondly, it sounds as if your Main Form is Read-Only. Is it based on more than one Table? Many multi-table Queries are Read-Only. For the reasons have a look at Allen Browne's article on the subject:

Why is my query read-only?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

Thank you for all of your help. Your suggestions did help me but it was for a slightly different reason in the end.

I have managed to (Kind of) get it to work now.

I do have one issue though. My sub-form works when not used in the main form (i.e. it works when standalone). But when placed into the sub-form, the combo-box disappears.

Also, how do I get rid of the annoying graphics on my sub-form? I want it to be pure white but access will not allow me to get rid of it.

DB is attached
    It is the AddNewBooking and AddNewBookingSUB forms which are causing the issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Once again, you have to set the Data Entry Properties on both the Main Form and the Subform to 'No!'

And in order for you to add Records to the Subform, the AllowEdits Property of the Main Form must be set to 'Yes.'

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

oh, no, sorry, it wasn't like this. I turned it off to test something and never switched it back on.

Does anybody know why the subform doesn't work and.or how to get it with no graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post

Once again, you have to set the Data Entry Properties on both the Main Form and the Subform to 'No!'

And in order for you to add Records to the Subform, the AllowEdits Property of the Main Form must be set to 'Yes.
    If you follow these instructions the Subform will work!

If you don't want the graphics, go into Design View and select the item and delete it.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

ah, it was the allow edits that I wasn't doing, thanks

The graphics still won't budge though, I cannot get rid of it on the sub-form - even through design view

I'm confused as to exactly what you're doing with the Subform, as you have no Controls on it! Is this a Template that you downloaded and are trying to modify? Unless you have a specific reason for using a Continuous Form, you can get rid of the graphics by simply changing the Form the Subform is based on to a Datasheet View Form.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!