Unanswered: Changing db2 ownership from root to non-root

Hi All,

We've installed db2 on linux (exact version details stated below) as a root. We would like to change the ownership of db2 files from root to instance owner user name since we don't have dedicated team to support DB2 also we don't gain root access in future. So in order to have trouble free operation we wanted to change the ownership

I've carefully noted down all the files and changed the permission from root to instance owner user name using chown linux command

it was working fine for couple of days, after that we've observed that the DB2 is down, then I tried to start the DB2 using db2start, it didn't work failed with unexpected error occurred as a instance owner as well as root

...So, I've logged in as root and execute db2iupdt, after that I was able to start and stop db2 as instance owner

Also I understood db2iupdt can't be run as non-root, is there a possibility to remove dependency on root user?

IBM DB2 Express Edition
    DB2 v9.7.0.4
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 (Tikanga)
    no of instance : 1

Provided Answers: 11
    have a look at limitations on these pages
    Differences between root installations and non-root installations
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

The common way of handling your problem is by grant sudo access to the instance owner
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.