Unanswered: Automatic purging of the logs

Hi,

The transaction log for the database becomes full and does not allow further operations like insert on the database. I am using the prune command and running it as a cron job. Instead of running this command could I do some changes in the configuration or some other thing where the logs which are present before the active log are deleted automatically.
    Thanks n advance

Provided Answers: 1
    Pruning of the [archived] logs will not resolve the log full situation, as active logs cannot (should not) be pruned. You should consider instead modifying your application(s) to use smaller transactions or, if that's not possible for some reason, increasing the active log space.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Hi,

I know that active logs should not be pruned but the log present just before the active logs could be pruned.
    Is it possible to make some changes in the configuration table so that we do not run any scheduler job to prune the inactive logs and its automatically purged.
    Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DBNew_bie View Post
    Is it possible to make some changes in the configuration table so that we do not run any scheduler job to prune the inactive logs and its automatically purged.
    It might be possible, depending on your DB2 version and platform. Since you've chosen not to disclose this information, I leave it to you to figure out how; it's described in the manuals.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

HI,

This is the version of the DB2 am using DB2/AIX64 9.7.0.

Thanks

If you are finding your number of log files are not sufficient you can increase logprimary and logseconadary parameters ( depending upon size of your active log directory )
    Apart from that if issue does not resolve there Please update following db cfg paramaters :
    Percent max primary log space by transaction (MAX_LOG)
    Num. of active log files for 1 active UOW(NUM_LOG_SPAN)

You can also check notify file from where you can get application handle of agent which is causing this log full error , and try to find out the query which is causing the problem in real time and share with application team.