Unanswered: Need help with exclusive access error message multiple times when I open a form

I have an odd problem with my database. I have an un-bound form set up as a menu. It has 26 buttons on it that run queries and reports. None of these queries and reports change any data or create any tables, they only pull information. When I open the form while someone else is in the database, I get the “You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time” error message 26 times, once for each button. The odd part is that no one running access 2007 gets this message, only access 2010. This happens to all of my other forms that are set us a menus as well.

I understand that if I split the database, I will not get this message anymore, but that is just not an option for this database’s purpose.

Provided Answers: 19
    Not to be hard-nosed, but if you have multiple users, on a non-split database, and you refuse to split it, you may as well sit back and get used it! This problem, as well as many other troubles, including lose of data, are a part of your future! It's really just that simple.

Why, exactly, is this 'just not an option for this database's purpose?'

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    y'can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink comes to mind.

if you want to live in the exciting world data loss, sleepless nights, odd error messages then stick with your approach of:-
    I understand that if I split the database, I will not get this message anymore, but that is just not an option for this database’s purpose.
    its a winner
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post

...y'can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink...
    True, although my Uncle Ben used to say

"You can take a horse to water, but you can't make him do the backstroke!"

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 5
    If no user on the 07 gets that message with multiple people launching the database - but only 2010 users get it - and they appear to get it recursively as the db opens then the splitting issue may not be the issue.

But first let me reiterate - healdem and the crew are 100% , repeat 100%, correct in stressing that you will continue to have problems - at some level - if you have users accessing and opening the entire container during the same session.

To say that it is not an option is not valid. there are no situations other than user limitations of skill or knowledge that can justify sharing an entire container over front-end / backe-end methodology. I can think of none other than trying to debunk my statement of "there are no situations".

With that said - I would verify that NO users of 07 get this message when multiple 07 users are in the dataabse.
    Then I would get everyone out of the data base and allow one user of 2010 to open the system. If you get that error - then the problem is not in the sharing or multiple sessions, and then we can drill down from there.
    Dale Houston, TX

Re: exclusive access error message multiple times when I open a form

@axsprog:

I have exactly the same problem! In my case, I did split the database up and still get the same message. No problems with a previous (similar) Access 2007 version, but the same error message as cited by the OP appears in the 2010 version when multiple users are logged in.

Any ideas? I've been combing Google for several days now and splitting the Db was one of the first things I tried. The message I get appears 7x at Access 2010 startup (possibly corresponding to the 7 tables accessible from the form that opens at Db startup), but does not seem to affect functionality. It's scaring my end-users, so I'm very interested in finding a way to resolve this..

- Paul
    Last edited by Cyberskout99; 09-25-13 at 19:06. Reason: addt'l detail

Provided Answers: 5
    This is a very old post LOL You may also want to look at the laccdb file. get evryone including your self out of the DB - then make sure you do not have a file (named exactly as the db) with an laccdb extension still in the folder of the front-end or backend

If you do then there may be permission problems (most probably the backend ) and that file is not being deleted. That file contains names of all users (machine names) coming into the system - if you are not the only user listed in that file then (and listed only once) then you do noy have exclusive rights to the database to make chnages. Usually in a network environment an admin will grant rights to a folder where an access db is without granting the delete level rights. All users have to have those permissions - because the last user out is when the file gets deleted. HTH
    Dale Houston, TX