Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Hiding A Particular Form

I am in process of "using forms for entering variables". Following the instructions in the user's guide, another form is created. I only want to ever see this form after a certain button on another form has been clicked. Is it possible to not show this particular form in the 'List of Forms'?

I see that the "Edit and Visibility" option is not available for forms so I do not know what I need to do. The 'List of Forms' area where I do NOT want to see the form is on the screenshot below (where the red arrow is pointing).
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails list of forms.jpg  

Hi
    The area shown on screen shot appears to be the "folder list" (I think you will only see forms list in design mode). This being the case you can attach a script to a folder (folder properties menu) which could lock out a form under your specified conditions. Also you can hide folder lists with a script action. You also may be able to prevent access to a form by adding a "on select record" conditional script to records contained in this folder.

tamcind,
    You are indeed correct - it is the 'List of Folders' (I am still way too new to Brilliant Database...). I checked under the 'Folder Properties' and the only option I thought that may work was by selecting 'run script on folder click'. I am not sure if that will work since I want essentially the inverse of that (I never want to be able to see that folder but under one circumstance).

[edit] Please disregard this request since I looked further into the application of this and discovered it is not what I want to do. I was hoping to have a form for data entry appear when I pushed a button on another form, I did not want to add a button to the toolbar.
    [end edit]

Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Last edited by fireant911; 02-15-13 at 09:37.

Provided Answers: 17
    That's no problem to write.

But.... if your pressing a button in order to try populate variables, why use a form when you can use a popup user input box direct from the form your working with to do the same thing.

If you want a form, that's fine, I can knock up an example for you to pull apart, but I think you would be better off with a popup user input. It's more normal and a more natural way to do it.

Regards
    James

Just a further note - while hiding a form may be difficult you can easily hide all fields/make read only from form properties. If using a form variable input system keep in mind the "main window" system variable (0 or 1), comes in handy to control what elements are shown/ editable on form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    That's no problem to write.

But.... if your pressing a button in order to try populate variables, why use a form when you can use a popup user input box direct from the form your working with to do the same thing.

If you want a form, that's fine, I can knock up an example for you to pull apart, but I think you would be better off with a popup user input. It's more normal and a more natural way to do it.

Regards
    James
    James,
    Again, my lack of knowledge was part of my problem. I was following the instructions in the user's guide and that particular example made the form appear by pressing a button on the toolbar. I discovered later that I could a create a form and then, using scripting, cause the form to appear using 'Add variable', 'User Input', and 'Set Vars by form'. This much works well but I still do not like the fact that the this form appears in the 'List of Folders' on the main BD screen. I would like to include a popup box, as you suggested, but is there any way to restrict the entry into the box as a positive integer?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

In the compiled version you can hide the whole folder tree and only let the admin or selected users to be able to view it....?!

Quote Originally Posted by singsteel View Post
    In the compiled version you can hide the whole folder tree and only let the admin or selected users to be able to view it....?!
    singsteel,
    Please excuse my lack of understanding (I way only two months into my Brilliant Database experience) - what do you mean by the "compiled version"?
    Daryl G