Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: How to Properly Delete A Form

During some experimentation with a new process, I added a form. I discovered later that this approach was not what I was looking for. I then wanted to delete the form and I tried right-clicking the unneeded form and then selected 'Delete Folder', next I emptied the 'Recycle Bin' and all evidence of this earlier form had disappeared from the main working view on Brilliant Database. Whenever I go to 'Design!' and then select 'Forms', this earlier form still appears on the 'List of Forms'. If I try to delete the form from there I receive a message stating "This form cannot be deleted because it is used in the database. Delete all related records and try again." This form is not used anywhere and contains no data - it was just a (failed) attempt at trying a new approach to data entry. I also tried running 'Database Optimization' to rid the program of all evidence of this purportedly deleted file yet it still remains. What is the proper procure to delete a form?

Provided Answers: 17
    Hmmm... that sounds like very odd behaviour.

If the form is not in use anywhere, then it should be possible to delete it from the form designer permanently. That is how it's done.

Regards
    James

get rid of all the form fields and any relation fields that appear on the related forms.

Quote Originally Posted by cmamtm22 View Post
    get rid of all the form fields and any relation fields that appear on the related forms.
    I tried that... the form only contained one field and it is not possible to delete the final field on a form (error statements appear saying that the form must contain at least one field). I only used the form for a single test so I know that it was not used anywhere else. I discovered that deleting the form on the main page does not remove it entirely nor does deleting it from the 'List of Forms' on the form designer... even though the option for deleting form does exist ('Delete Folder' and 'Delete form' respectively). I then tried 'Operations with forms' and selected 'Delete form' and, in this case, it truly removed the form. I will just have to remember to do it via 'Operations with forms' in the future.
    Daryl G

Maybe you have set some relationship and unless you cancel that, the system will not let you to delete....

Quote Originally Posted by singsteel View Post
    Maybe you have set some relationship and unless you cancel that, the system will not let you to delete....
    No, there was absolutely no relationship set up. I just created the form, added a date field, and deleted the generic field that appears automatically when a form is first created... I did not even change the scripting to incorporate this field as a variable. I did eventually get the form to delete completely but it was not the first (or even second) method that I tried. The only way that I experienced success was using the 'Operations With Forms' area - right-clicking the unwanted folder and selecting Delete Folder simply did not work.

This situation brings up another question. Is there a way to not save any changes to a program. For example, I may want to try to add another functionality to my program. If I discover midway through this that it will not work, is there a way that I can restore my original version? I know that I can save an unmodified version (which is what I have been doing) but I am just wondering if there is another way to do this without having to constantly save other versions.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Well, the time has come again to delete a form. This form had one field and this one field was used in one location on the scripting. There are no records associated with this folder because I was simply using it as a Input Form (other than the one blank record that appears when the form is first created). I thought I knew how to finally do this after the problems I experienced before... yet, the form removal remains elusive. In the 'Form Editor', I tried to select the 'Delete Form' button listed under 'Operations With Forms' (as this is how I was able to finally rid the program of the form earlier). This does not work as a warning message appears:"This form cannot be deleted because it is used in the database. Delete all related records and try again." Right-clicking the form under the 'List of Form' and selecting 'Delete Form' produces the same message - "This form cannot be deleted...". Right-clicking the unwanted form while in the regular database mode and then selecting delete just moves the form to the recycle bin but as soon as I go back into Design Mode, the form is still present in the 'List of Forms'. What is the proper procedure for deleting forms (please provide step-by-step procedures because I cannot get it to work in the fashion that one would suppose it would work)?

Again, you must trust me, I KNOW that this is NOT used anywhere else in the program so the warning statement I received is invalid. I also used the Database Maintenance feature to attempt to remove any remnants of the one variable that the form had contained earlier (this variable was removed from the program earlier today). How does a user remove a form?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Yes it is troublesome at times, I think this system takes into account fields which are in the Rubbish bin ?! check you rubbish bin if any fields are relating to your form....?!

singsteel,
    The Recycle Bin was empty. I really do not know how to truly delete a folder - this is proving to be much more difficult than it should be.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 4
    I think correct order this is.

Delete all records that using this form.
    Delete folder linked to this form.
    Empty recycle bin.
    Open design mode.
    Delete form.

MacHeuS,
    That worked. I would have not thought that so many steps are required PLUS the fact that these steps have to be performed in this EXACT sequence. As always, thank you for your help.

On a side note, MacHeuS, I thought of you yesterday because I had written some scripting (in one sitting) that performed a very complex analysis. I had previously done the coding in Visual Basic for Applications and it required 1,154 lines of code. I was able to do the same thing in Brilliant Database with with just 50 lines of script. Slowly, I am starting to grasp the programming methodology required for this software. I would have NEVER been able to do this if you had not taken the time to help me earlier.
    Daryl G