Unanswered: Paradox 11 form has lost incrementing capability

Hi,

We have recently upgraded our bespoke Paradox DB to Vers 11 and onto Win 7.

This was more by accident than by choice as we had a near total data loss on the machines running Win XP and Paradox Version 9. We cannot go back!

Everything seems to be working fine, we have run many tests and the ONLY error that is occurring is this: When we attempt to add a new record to our system, the next available record number is now not being assigned, instead the first record number is assigned [IE 1 instead of around 15690 'ish]. The DB , I imagine [as I am no DB expert!] looks at the last used number in the DB and then assigns the next consecutive, incremental, number? It is simply starting at 1 again, for now.

The form looks exactly the same as the one that was archived and when I check 'properties' the two match...no changes etc.

I'm at a loss and hoped that somebody here could point me in the right direction and perhaps advise if this is a simple fix or if it needs to be corrected by an expert etc.

If you could help, that would be wonderful and I truly appreciate any advice that could be offered.

Best wishes,

Mike

first.. if you had a data loss, and it was not from a failed hard drive, the problem was from within the data tables.. the windows version and paradox version, in this context, make no difference.. your tables are your tables, fixed or broken, and the table structure hasn't changed since late 90s..

second.. this is why experienced paradox users have always recommended a "next number" table and process, instead of the built-in "autoincrement" process.. when there is table damage, you usually lose the "autoincrement" links

you should rebuild the tables with the built-in repair tool and/or chimneysweep, then pack the tables with the built-in repair tool, to bebuild the indexes

please post your issue details, and any replies to my comments, on the community website/newsgroup, not here

Support - Paradox Community
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your time, I appreciate that very much.

The table field is an integer and does not use autoincrement and picks up the values from a field in the table...and when autoincrement is set, the DB fails and goes into error; I verified the table structure via 'restructure' under the integral tools. When I used the table repair function...it advised that the table was 100% and no errors present. I have also downloaded DBD and that also verifies the structure. Utilising the trial version of Kernel Paradox repair, this also says that there are no issues with the tables etc.

I am a little wary of purchasing Chimneysweep if all these diagnostics are correct, as you can understand.

I have further checked that the folders/files on the system are all appropriately set for read/write/execute permissions [just in case that was a reason] and all is normality there, too.

Suffice to say, the situation remains the same.

I'm out of my depth beyond this, and hope that the situation is reversible....if need be, I am happy to pass this over to somebody as a paid task if they feel they can getto the bottom of it?

Many thanks, yet again,

Mike

your response leads to more questions.. as I suggested in my original message, please post this on the community site, not here.. I am the only long-term "paradox guru" on this site.. there are MANY of us on the community site, so you will have much more help there.. thank you..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Apologies Steve, in my haste to explain I did not read your full message. Will visit the community site and seek help therein. Many thanks, best wishes.

Mike