Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Setting the height of a report

I am trying to set the height of a report, and position it in the center of the screen when it opens but I am having some difficulty. The two images attached show how it is currently displayed, and how I want it too be displayed (using the 'Sizable' property)

Hopefully you can help,

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue.jpg   Correct.jpg  

Provided Answers: 59
    you are using a report to display on screen?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I'm terribly sorry to be ignorant, but that makes little, if any sense to me.

Perhaps you could explain further?

Use a form to target displaying on a screen.
    Use a report to target displaying on printer.

To paraphrase an insurance company advert....
    Simples

I think you may have misunderstood my request. I need/want to display the results of my query 'qryToday'sMeetings' in a report.

Can you help me sort the problem I am having or not?

Provided Answers: 14
    What healdem means is that what you're asking for can easily (more or less) be done with a Form, while the same kind of thing is almost impossible to do with a Report. This is one of the reasons why you should use a Form to display data on screen and use a Report only for printing.
    Have a nice day!

Change background color to replace the white in your photo

If you really did want a report but don't like the white space demonstrated in your attached photo, you can set the background color of the Report Footer to the same color as the Details area.

--------------------------------

That is a good idea in order to remove the white space, but what about setting the height of the report when it is opened as a pop up window?

The reason I have decided to display the data in the form of a report, is because I do indeed wish to Print it, but nonetheless like it to be displayed correctly beforehand (i.e without white space and of the correct height)

Many thanks,

Provided Answers: 14
    Search in Access Help for the Move method of the Form or Report object.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Search in Access Help for the Move method of the Form or Report object.
    That has solved the positioning issue, although the white space issue remains. How can I remove this?

Many thanks,

Provided Answers: 2
    If your report's window is taller than the report, why not shrink the window? Access saves window properties along with the rest of the object, so that should deal with it. OTOH, if the white space is present in the report, you need to remove it from the report's design.

It might be easier in the long run to have a form open as a modal dialogue box to display this information, and then have a button on the form that opens the report in Print mode. That way, you aren't trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Quote Originally Posted by weejas View Post
    If your report's window is taller than the report, why not shrink the window? Access saves window properties along with the rest of the object, so that should deal with it. OTOH, if the white space is present in the report, you need to remove it from the report's design.

It might be easier in the long run to have a form open as a modal dialogue box to display this information, and then have a button on the form that opens the report in Print mode. That way, you aren't trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
    Well that is exactly the problem, the white space is not present in the reports design. The attached screengrab shows this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

so you are coercing a report to act as a form, and displaying it in report preview mode. you are then wondering how you change the report height when previewed.

why are you hitting these problems. because you are using a report, not a form. even if you did use a form I suspect you would will have problems, however you can alter a forms height and width. youd probably need some magic numbers to know the offset for the header/footer, then add in the amount of space for each row displayed. work out any differences for different resolutions, work out difference for each users screen profile and so on. then bypass the resize events so the user cannot resize the form if they are so moved.

frankly that seems a heck of a lot of work for something so incredibly minor. yes you should make certain the app hangs together looks professional and all the rest of it. but this

I appreciate that as identified in post #5 you think im not trying to help,. and you are almost certainly right in as much as fas as I can see what you are doing seems a waste of developer time, 2 days plus so far and rising)

would you sue a hammer to join two pieces of wood together by a screw and then complain that the hammer doesn't leave as good a surface finish as using a screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    so you are coercing a report to act as a form, and displaying it in report preview mode. you are then wondering how you change the report height when previewed.

why are you hitting these problems. because you are using a report, not a form. even if you did use a form I suspect you would will have problems, however you can alter a forms height and width. youd probably need some magic numbers to know the offset for the header/footer, then add in the amount of space for each row displayed. work out any differences for different resolutions, work out difference for each users screen profile and so on. then bypass the resize events so the user cannot resize the form if they are so moved.

frankly that seems a heck of a lot of work for something so incredibly minor. yes you should make certain the app hangs together looks professional and all the rest of it. but this

I appreciate that as identified in post #5 you think im not trying to help,. and you are almost certainly right in as much as fas as I can see what you are doing seems a waste of developer time, 2 days plus so far and rising)

would you sue a hammer to join two pieces of wood together by a screw and then complain that the hammer doesn't leave as good a surface finish as using a screwdriver?

I am not coercing a report to act as a form. I simply need to display the data contained within a query in a report. A form is used form for data entry correct? Not to display data. That is the role of a report, no?

Why is that concept so difficult for you to understand?

Provided Answers: 2
    Actually, a form is used to display data on screen as well as enter, edit and delete it. A report is used to display data on a printed page. As you say, this is not a difficult concept.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.