Unanswered: Log file size(.ldf) is 4 time greater then data file(.mdf)

Dear all,
    Greetings!!

I have a database whose log file size is 4 time greater then data file size, and its continuously growing day by day. Recently face limited disk related issue.

Is there any way to truncate log file???
    What is impact on db if i truncate log file???
    Is there any way to prevent this file continuously growing???

Valuable suggestions always appreciated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Are you not taking log backups?

I am taking only every day full backups.
    No transaction log backups.

I have created one maintenance plan to take transaction log backup. (one time activity).
    After successfully execution transaction log backup maintenance plan, i was expecting log file size reduce. But data size and log size is same before and after taking backup of transaction log files.

My data size is 4GB
    Log size: 29GB
    transaction log backup size 6GB

Please suggest something.

My question is, Is there any way to reduce log file size???

you should have a transaction log backup as part of your scheduled backup to help remove committed transactions from your transaction log ( not just a once off ).

run dbcc sqlperf(logspace) to confirm your transaction log file is mostly empty.

If it is you can do a once off dbcc shrinkfile. You can do this graphically thru mgmt studio to release unused space.

Thong

Provided Answers: 1
    Right-click on your database.
    Select Tasks/Shrink/Files
    Choose
    ---File type: Log
    ---Shrink action: Release unused space

The dialog box will show you the currently allocated space, as well as the Available free space.
    Click OK.

Going through the steps above again, you should see that the allocated space and available free space have decreased. If you don't see any change, let us know.

You should not have to perform this task regularly, if you schedule automated log backups. (And there's really no point in having your database in full recovery mode if you aren't doing regular log backups.)
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jignesh_foryou View Post
    I have created one maintenance plan to take transaction log backup. (one time activity).
    After successfully execution transaction log backup maintenance plan, i was expecting log file size reduce. But data size and log size is same before and after taking backup of transaction log files.

My data size is 4GB
    Log size: 29GB
    transaction log backup size 6GB

Please suggest something.
    Try running this code snippet and check to see if the log reuse is waiting for some event to complete:

Code:
    SELECT name, log_reuse_wait_desc FROM sys.databases
    I had a similar problem recently and discovered that an uncommitted replication command was keeping the transaction log from truncating. I committed the replication transactions, did a full backup including the log and this reduced the log file to what I would have expected. What is your recovery model? Full, simple or bulk?

A BIG clarification is needed here. "Reducing the size of your transaction log" can include simply emptying out the active records. It does not necessarily mean "automatically reducing the footprint of the file on disk". In fact, there are no files that are automatically shrunk in SQL Server. This is because shrinking a file requires a very technical thing called "work".

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    A BIG clarification is needed here. "Reducing the size of your transaction log" can include simply emptying out the active records. It does not necessarily mean "automatically reducing the footprint of the file on disk". In fact, there are no files that are automatically shrunk in SQL Server. This is because shrinking a file requires a very technical thing called "work".
    Work? Novel concept.

I'm against it myself, but what can you do? It seems to be a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I'm against it myself, but what can you do? It seems to be a fad.
    I hired a DBA to help me so I can concentrate on more important tasks like planning and reporting. Now he's doing the support and deployments which isn't really work but keeps the developers happy.

Provided Answers: 1
    ...like an airline hiring pilots to fly the plane, so that hostesses can concentrate on the important task of serving drinks and meals to passengers, right?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    ...like an airline hiring pilots to fly the plane, so that hostesses can concentrate on the important task of serving drinks and meals to passengers, right?
    Lol! Not quite so here. I am in the process of repairing the planes so he can fly them without crashing and burning every other day.