Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: Changing office Colr Scheme VBA

I am trying to change the Office Color Scheme in VBA when the user first starts the application.

I am not trying to change the theme of the current database, I want to change the color scheme - the best way to understand is to go to File -->> options -->> General

Then about 1/4 way down you will see color scheme. i want to change that scheme to "Black" when the user starts the application.

I know this will change the office color scheme possibly for other office applications - that is not an issue - so please do not let me know how ticked you might be as a user if a program chnages your settings. I just read the most horrible response a person could offer for help at

change color scheme in VBA

The person responding did not address the issue - she just kept reiterating how upset she would be if a a program changed her settings -

My concern is that of the person seeking help at the pcreview site - and that is making a registry setting that requires a restart - I would prefer to make the color change when the app starts , not when the user returns to the appilication.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by axsprog View Post

...I know this will change the office color scheme possibly for other office applications - that is not an issue...
    Sorry, Dale, but that certainly is an issue! There was nothing 'horrible' about Gina's response; all of her points are valid and you'd do well to heed them! Simply put, making changes to a user's system settings is something that should not be done unless there is a compelling functional reason to do so (which this obviously is not) and if done for a valid reason, it is adamant that the original settings be restored on exiting the database.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 5
    OMG you did not go there.

If i say it was not an issue, as a developer with over 25 years experience, then I should not have had to explain to you the micro reason - and that is - the machines are sterile machines - NO office on them just runtime access - not even outlook.

This forum is designed to give facts and solutions not opinions on what my users (not yours) need to be able to do - nor warnings given to me like "heed" anything.

I stated very clearly I did not want to be confronted with the "why would you do that" i did not feel i had to explain why.

The art of support and mentoring is is to first address the solution then to address the caveats.

i asked for a solution - a programatic VBA method to change a color scheme, when an application loads -

I have read your other posts and you are knowledgable and positive - but really? - admonish me on what is good for my users (not yours) especially when i prefaced my request with "please don't do that"

So my question is again : Does anyone have a VBA solution top change the users color scheme without having to exit and restart the application?
    Dale Houston, TX