Thread: Generic Close

Unanswered: Generic Close

Quick question. From a dashboard, I open one of a number of forms. On each form is a "Return to Main Menu" button. The button runs a macro which is simply a CloseWindow (ObjectType=Form). I want to use one macro regardless of which form is open. In earlier versions of Access I thought I could get away with leaving the objectname blank, but I'm now in 2007/10 and that doesn't seem to work. I tried setting the ObjectName "=[screen.activeform.name]" but that doesn't work. What is the correct/best way to create a generic close?
    Pete
    PGT

Provided Answers: 14
    Use a VBA procedure instead of a macro:
    Code:
    Sub CloseForm(Byval FomName As String)

Docmd.Close acForm, FormName

End Sub
    Have a nice day!

Thanks Sinndho,
    I knew I could close the form by passing the explicit FormName (either as Macro or a VBA). I was trying to avoid having to code each button with the name of the form it's on. Essentially I was trying to do the same as clicking the "X" in the upper-right corner of the form. I know it's probably better to use the explicit method, but in this case it would cleaner to be completely generic. I thought I could just enumerate the FormName with "screen.activeform.name" or something similar, but that syntax doesn't work.
    Pete
    PGT

the arguments are optional

docmd.close will close the active form or report

Thanks Rogue,
    I've got a module
    Public Function CloseCurrentForm()
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo
    End Function
    and I could drop everything except the DoCmd.Close.
    But now my problem is that when I go to the button OnClick event, I can't find the module or event. Double clicking the [Event Procedure] option merely creates a new button specific function.
    Pete
    PGT

Provided Answers: 14
    When the form is design mode, select the button, then in the Property windows, replace "[Event Procedure]" by "=CloseCurrentForm()" (without the quotes) for the OnClick event.
    Have a nice day!

Sinndho, my problem was forgetting the "=".

For everyone, access didn't like this use of Me.Name.
    I tried DoCmd.Close acForm,, acSaveNo and it didn't like that either.
    DoCmd.Close by itself did work. So I was officially done.

But just out of curiosity, I also went back to the original non-working macro's that used CloseWindow with no arguments; deleted them and then recreated them; and voila they now work. Must have been something in the moving of the db from 2003 to 2010.
    Thanks to all.
    PGT