In reference to fireant911's question - yes this is a normal procedure. The key is telling BB what record(s) to process. It can not "mind read" and only knows about the currently selected record/field that the cursor is in (possibly last query etc but would not count on it). Using the query/recordset/for each actions is safest bet. Have included another very basic file to show one way to update a stock level form items used form. Note the use of $old_value preset variable - many examples I have seen do not cater for a change of qty up or down. Keep in mind these procedures need some error checking actions added if you are to have a reliable database (I added 1 simple check to see if item really existed).
Very, very good example. I will certainly save this example to reference in the future. I just finished phase I of my project this evening (thanks to you!). This portion has a total of 351 lines of scripting which constitute seven unique functions/analyses. Although I have researched the user's guide extensively, I have learned a great deal from this site. I sincerely express my gratitude to all the kind and knowledgeable Brilliant Database people that frequent this site.
Your example worked great. I am attempting to download some data from EXCEL and I am currently using your scripting for setting field values along with the example on the Brilliant Database (using 'get_data_from_excel' demo). I am running into the same problem I had before... error messages that, in this case, come from line 8 of the scripting. I cannot determine what I am doing wrong??? Please see attached screenshot.
Your example demonstrated that a (knowledgeable) user can change the value of a folder's field while currently in another folder. I modified my scripting so that the scripting itself takes me to the 'delivery' folder and then everything works. Why am I not able to specify the folder and field name remotely (as you did) and have it change the intended field values?
The error message I receive is: >12:04:40 PM error Script error on line 8: The action can be executed only with the 'Employee List' record type.
Action: Employee List: [employee_name] = "[$a1]"
Suggest you add a $newrecid to "save result to variable" in box at bottom of the "add record" action. Also set to "just create new record" only - not select record. This is a internal record number (a 1 record "recordset" reference). Now use this $newrecid above the for "each loop" to set required field to your variable value.
If still in trouble will try to make simple bbd file for you.
Thanks for your suggestions. I finally got the scripting work properly but it was not how I thought it should work. I am used to working with Visual Basic for Applications and the logic that applies with that program is NOT what works with Brilliant Database. I still have much to learn with this program and I certainly am appreciative that you take the time to thoroughly answer my (seemingly unending) questions. In fact, this afternoon, I demonstrated to my wife what I have accomplished with Brilliant Database - she repeatedly stated that she was impressed with these accomplishments. I could not have come this far without those on this board that are so willing to help!