Unanswered: ADB Server monitor help

Can i use the monitor with more than one database running? Somehow when i use this and share a database, users can't connect. Help please

Provided Answers: 17
    Yes, in one factory I have 3 instances running on the same server.

Just make sure it's using different port numbers. Sometimes even when I set them, it reverts to the default port number, causing them all not to work.

I may even stop using it because of that and the fact that in all the years the databases have been ruining, they have never crashed.

Regards
    James

Lucky you Tubbritt, as every day or two days my database at work crashes with a DEBUG error or out of range 9 error. Its frustrating as i cant seem to find what is causing this so i have to manually restart the database. I want to have it automatically restarted.

So what you are saying is there is a flaw with the monitor?

Lucky you Tubbritt, as every day or two days my database at work crashes with a DEBUG error or out of range 9 error. Its frustrating as i cant seem to find what is causing this so i have to manually restart the database. I want to have it automatically restarted.
    I've seen that one before.

For me it was caused by a user on the network who is trying to print to a printer which was connected to another PC and shared. If the computer which was set to share the printer was turned off, the database would crash. However, this was due to how the printer had been installed on the computer the person was trying to print from.

They had added the printer as a network printer in windows. To resolve the issue I deleted the printer on the machine they were trying to print from, and installed it with the CD and installed it as a Network Printer.

Soon as I did that it would work. If the destination PC which was sharing the printer was turned off, it simply didn't print.

So what you are saying is there is a flaw with the monitor?
    Yes. It often defaults to port 6420 regardless of what you have it set to.

For example... you launch your first database on port 6420 and everything works. You then launch your second database on port 6421 and it will fail. You will likely get a sharing error that will also stop the first database from being seen by the end users.

The problem being that even though you set it to 6421, it still tried to connect to port 6420 where your other database was running.

It doesn’t' do this all the time, but it does it a bloody lot.

Regards
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    I've seen that one before.

For me it was caused by a user on the network who is trying to print to a printer which was connected to another PC and shared. If the computer which was set to share the printer was turned off, the database would crash. However, this was due to how the printer had been installed on the computer the person was trying to print from.

They had added the printer as a network printer in windows. To resolve the issue I deleted the printer on the machine they were trying to print from, and installed it with the CD and installed it as a Network Printer.

Soon as I did that it would work. If the destination PC which was sharing the printer was turned off, it simply didn't print.

Regards
    James
    How did you figure this out? I mean there could be several reasons i assume but who did you pinpoint this?

Trent
    Check your database records.Are you using image field lot? If so check the image size and the size of the image field in the form display.
    To some extent data integrity check will help you.

James
    What version you are using. In one of Mikhail's reply he told that we cannot use server monitor more than one instance. But I rememeber in earlier versions I have used more than one databases in the same server.

Yes. It often defaults to port 6420 regardless of what you have it set to.

For example... you launch your first database on port 6420 and everything works. You then launch your second database on port 6421 and it will fail. You will likely get a sharing error that will also stop the first database from being seen by the end users.

The problem being that even though you set it to 6421, it still tried to connect to port 6420 where your other database was running.

It doesn’t' do this all the time, but it does it a bloody lot.

Regards
    James[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE=Tubbritt;6583563]I've seen that one before.

I don't quite follow asokram. What you are saying is that probably the amount of images i use and the size of the image field in the form display may be an issue for my crashes?

Look at the attached images from my database.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Images 1.png   Images 2.png   Images 3.png  

Trent
    In my case I was having such problems when I was attaching 2mb or more size image files in the image field.Also when such big size images are to be displayed in bigger image field size.

In your case it is only icons.I think should not be a problem.

ow did you figure this out? I mean there could be several reasons i assume but who did you pinpoint this?
    It was a small little company, only two office room side by side so after they crashed the database a few times, and I had asked them to remember exactly what they were doing over and over, I finally got enough information to try a few different things.
    ow did you figure this out? I mean there could be several reasons i assume but who did you pinpoint this?
    It was a small little company, only two office room side by side so after they crashed the database a few times, and I had asked them to remember exactly what they were doing over and over, I finally got enough information to try a few different things.

It can also happen when trying to scan an image directly into a Image field and there's a problem with the scanner (not turned on) or currently unavailable for some reason, or you try to cancel.

Regards
    James

James
    What version you are using. In one of Mikhail's reply he told that we cannot use server monitor more than one instance. But I rememeber in earlier versions I have used more than one databases in the same server.
    Really? That's interesting. Maybe that's why I have the problem of it defaulting to ports 6420 for those databases. Rather than fixing the problem they probably just limited it to one machine. Those databases I'm running in that factory are indeed probably v5 gen.

I have 3 v9.42 running in another factory, but that machine is a virtual server. Production, Quality and Maintenance are all accessed through different remote desktops as the information in different departments in the company is very private and restricted to employees. All the data does come from the same hardware though.

I don't know. Server configurations are not something I'm entirely conformable with.

Regards
    James

Many thanks guys, i am about to do some troubleshooting over this week as the printing problem you experienced tubbritt may be an issue on my end as well. The difference with me is at any time up to 12 users are connected to the database and there are also 4 other databases running on the same server.