Unanswered: Split database: The data macro 'Comments.AddComment' cannot be found.

I'm using Access 2010 and I just recently split my database using the Access wizard to do so. The db appears to respond much quicker on my network.

One issue I just found though, after testing it further, is now the 'comment field' gives an error when you try to add a comment.

The data macro 'Comments.AddComment' cannot be found.

I'm guessing because the table is in the backend and so is the macro, therefore the frontend can't find it. I have read that data macros are not supported with linked tables.

Can anyone knowledgeable in this area suggest an alternative method to re-enable the comments?

I am using the contacts web database template that is provided with Access 2010, though I have converted the web db to a standard db.

Thanks
    Mike

Where are you running the macro from? Are you appending to a table or updating? What is the table name and the field names? Where is the data to append or update coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Where are you running the macro from? Are you appending to a table or updating? What is the table name and the field names? Where is the data to append or update coming from?
    I'm still learning Access but I will try to answer those questions with what I know.

This is a template database from Access 2010.

I only have two tables, a Comments and a Contacts table.

Another Comments is also under Reports.

The fields for the Comments table are ID, Comment Date, Comment, ContactID.

The Main Form provides the box to enter the comments. When you click save, the error message is displayed when the database is split, but works correctly when not split.

Looking at the Comments save box under Design View, the On Click under Event says [Embedded Macro]. Does that help? I hope I'm giving you useful info.

Thank you,
    Mike

Create a query in the front end that appends/updates your comments and run that query from the click event of your save button.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Create a query in the front end that appends/updates your comments and run that query from the click event of your save button.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I would be lying if I said "Ok, I will give it a shot."

Actually I did, that's why it has been a day or so before I could reply.

I understand how to create a query, I just don't know how to configure it the way you suggested.

From what I understand, a query only uses data that is already in the database and so the issue I'm having is the comments save button generates the error when clicked, so the comments are not saved in the database yet.

So how do I instruct a query to append/update my comments as you suggested?

Thanks again
    Mike

Also I noticed the ClientDetails Form has a macro in it for saving and creating new contacts, yet it works just fine in the split database.

Any idea why this is so?

Mike

You can create an append or update query to use the information from your form.

I haven't used macros in more years than I'd care to admit, so I don't know much about them anymore. Have you tried recreating the macro in the front end? If that doesn't work, let me know if you have any SQL or VBA knowledge. There are several ways to accomplish this and it will help me figure out the best way to help you.