Unanswered: dynamic insert- error

prathibha_aviator (2/25/2013)[hr]I am looping through all the databases for a table and trying to insert data into two columns in that table. So evrything seems right. but when i run the program it says

Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Line 4
    Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'OrganizationID', table 'DesMoines_DEV.dbo.Organization'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
    Any help to catch the culprit is appreciated. I think writing a dynamic query that produces a series of insert statements is wrong... Instead a dynamic query that execute insert statements one by one may work... But I couldn't figure how to approach..
    Below is the code

SET @dbLoop = CURSOR FOR
    SELECT name
    FROM sys.Databases
    WHERE name NOT IN ('master','model','msdb','tempdb')
    AND State_desc = 'ONLINE'

OPEN @dbLoop

Fetch Next from @dbloop into @dbname

While @@FETCH_STATUS=0

BEGIN
    IF OBJECT_ID(@DBName + N'.dbo.Organization') IS NOT NULL
    AND COL_LENGTH(@DBName+'.dbo.Organization','Organizati onID') IS NOT NULL
    AND COL_LENGTH(@DBName+'.dbo.Organization','POL_ID') IS NULL

BEGIN
    SET @SQL = @SQL +'INSERT INTO ' + @dbname + '.dbo.Organization (Last_Backup, Backupsize) select DateModified, FileSizeinKB from AIM_Master.dbo.PSBackupStatistics '
    + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +'INNER JOIN '+@dbname+ '.dbo.Organization ON AIM_Master.dbo.PSBackupStatistics.POLID = '+ @dbname + '.dbo.Organization.OrganizationID'
    +CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)+ CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)

END
    FETCH NEXT FROM @dbLoop INTO @dbname
    END

Provided Answers: 54
    Your dynamic INSERT into the Organization table fails because it does not specify the OrganizationID column, and the OrganizationID column is declared as NOT NULL.

In other words, the SQL you published here works fine... The dynamic SQL which it wrote has at least one flaw.

This is actually pretty good for a first attempt at dynamic SQL, don't let that get you down!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Your dynamic INSERT into the Organization table fails because it does not specify the OrganizationID column, and the OrganizationID column is declared as NOT NULL.

In other words, the SQL you published here works fine... The dynamic SQL which it wrote has at least one flaw.

This is actually pretty good for a first attempt at dynamic SQL, don't let that get you down!

-PatP

I appreciate ur help Pat. But in particular i did not understand this statement..

Can u give me an example??

Code:
    --  Demo table

CREATE TABLE #Organization (
       OrganizationId   INT         NOT NULL
    ,  Last_Backup      DATETIME    NOT NULL
    ,  Backupsize       BIGINT      NOT NULL
       )
    GO

--  What failed

INSERT INTO #Organization (Last_Backup, Backupsize)
       SELECT GetDate(), 1024000
    GO

--  How to make it succeed

INSERT INTO #Organization (OrganizationId, Last_Backup, Backupsize)
       SELECT 1, GetDate(), 1024000
    GO

--  Show results and clean up
    SELECT * FROM #Organization
    DROP TABLE #Organization
    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

--This is my query result now
    INSERT INTO DesMoines_DEV.dbo.Organization (OrganizationID, Last_Backup, Backupsize) select POLID, ISNULL(DateModified,' ') AS DateModified, ISNULL(FileSizeinKB,'') AS FileSizeinKB from AIM_Master.dbo.PSBackupStatistics
    INNER JOIN DesMoines_DEV.dbo.Organization ON AIM_Master.dbo.PSBackupStatistics.POLID = DesMoines_DEV.dbo.Organization.OrganizationID
    And again the error is
    Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ParishID', table 'DesMoines_DEV.dbo.Organization'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
    The statement has been terminated.
    But I dont have any parishID equivalent column in my source table
    Pls help

Quote Originally Posted by prathibha44 View Post
    But I dont have any parishID equivalent column in my source table
    I can help you with problems like syntax errors and data integrity issues. You've found a schema problem, and that I can't address for you.

You need to either find or create a value for every NOT NULL column in the Organization table. This requires insight into your schema and business requirements that I do not have, you must do it.

-PatP

I figured that as the table structure is already created i need to use update instead of insert.. I ignored a basic information there.. Thanks for all ur help though..