Thread: Banned?

Unanswered: Banned?

Was Joe Celko really banned from this forum?

His last few responses seemed to be have been toned down a little bit!

Provided Answers: 1
    I deleted the ones which were not toned down.

He received a 7 day ban.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    Joe speaks too frankly sometimes. I can't argue with him from a technical standpoint because I usually agree with his analysis. Unfortunately DBForums has established a reputation as a place for full, frank, technical discussion but very little tolerance for personal attacks.

One of the moderators felt that Joe crossed the line for what is acceptable behavior here, and I can't argue because the behavior did cross the line...

Joe is a close friend of mine. I think that he's brought a lot to DBForums, and I am impressed with the effort that he's put into moderating/self-censoring his comments. I couldn't support an outright ban because of his comments (which is what the moderator wanted), but I can live with seven days... That "cooling off period" might help.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

There was a thread or two where there was good discussion with Joe and Blindman. It was very interesting to see the different points of view and the validity of each and the back and forth supporting their decision. Those of us just lurking had a great opportunity to learn from some of the great minds of the day.

I hope he comes back ready to discuss just the technical issues.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by LinksUp View Post
    There was a thread or two where there was good discussion with Joe and Blindman. It was very interesting to see the different points of view and the validity of each and the back and forth supporting their decision. Those of us just lurking had a great opportunity to learn from some of the great minds of the day.

I hope he comes back ready to discuss just the technical issues.
    Me too! I respect both blindman and Joe, and love watching them wrestle.

The part that tickles me no end is that neither of them seems to realize just how alike they appear to be to me. They have radically different skill sets, and blindman came to DBForums when it was a bit wilder place but he earned his "World Class Flame Warrior" title! Both of them are amazingly talented, both are stubborn, outspoken, and want to help people.

They present DBForums and a much larger part of the internet with a great learning opportunity if I can just find a way to get them to debate civilly!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I couldn't support an outright ban because of his comments (which is what the moderator wanted)
    For the record, I chose independently to limit his ban to 7 days, without consulting other moderators. Normally a poster would be banned outright for such behavior so I have been, if anything too lenient.

It also my hope that, if Joe chooses to return, he will treat posters with more respect and become a valued member of the dbforums community.

blindman

My $ .02

Personally, I subscribe to the "lurk & learn" mode because there are a few on this forum & others that take a superior (read: obnoxious) position when it comes to correcting others mistakes....sounds WAY too much like putting them in their place. This type of attitude supresses noob questions and does nothing positive to nurture a learning environment that encourages (rather than discourages) an exchange of ideas.

I've only read a few of Joe's posts and, while he obviously knows what he's talking about, he needs to develope some tact so he's earned his 7-day stint in the timeout chair.

Well, I'm a bit uncomfortable about continuing a public discussion regarding someone who is, for the moment, not able to provide their perspective, so I'm going to close this thread.

blindman