Unanswered: Bash Script to Query DB Sql Quries. (Automation using bash script)

I was wondering anybody can help on the below scenario and the code to start this below via a bash script that runs automatically to CALL DB quries. :

What needs to be achieved?

I have a list of DB queries when executed on a command line brings back details in the required table, example "select * from DB_name where db_NUM="" etc brings back stored information in this particular DB table and has all entries stored.

1.One click process to run script - I want to create a bash script that calls each SQL statement as above and references within the command line if each SQL entry has been added correctly into the database and generates a PASS or a FAIL next to each script being executed?

Many Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Code:
    echo "Starting script 1 \c"
    sqlplus script1.sql <<EOF >script1.rpt
    input data
    EOF
    if [ $? = 0 ]
      then 
        echo " pass"
    else
       echo "fail"
    fi
    Repeat for each script. If there is no keyboard input then omit the "<<EOF" and all lines down to and including EOF.
    $? is the operating system interpretation of pass or fail, which might not be the same as the application program definition.

Thanks for the above,

where you have referenced “input data” is this where I’ am inserting the SQL query that I want returning from this script?

Also these DB tables are connected via a connection string, how do you go about referencing the database connection string within a bash script please so it picks up the correct queries i have refrenced?

Can you post a typical terminal session?

hello

A typical terminal session would look like the one attached.

To request a particular SQL statement you would run for example on the terminal line "select * from db_table where db_NUM="" etc, this would bring back the records for this query.

I want to insert these quries in bash and run this query from the command line and give it a pass or fail instead of executing the query manually.

Many Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails terminal session.png  

What are the sql statements that you type? I need to see the entire session, up to the exit or logout.

Provided Answers: 54
    Might I suggest using Perl or another scripting language that includes better support for database access? Using a BASH script is great for "one off" or very specific, dedicated tasks but I have the feeling that your needs are more sophisticated than that so a language like Perl might be a better fit.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks for the replys.. how would this be setup using a pearl script please...

Further instructions on what iam acheving here :

Steps. Input the following from the command line. From Login to logout

1. Sudo su – hhr01 to login in the terminal
    2. A password is requested hit enter
    3. QueryNMR "select * from int.head where custom_NUM=05009890"
    4. Above query brings back a record in table.
    5. Input exit to logout of system terminal.
    6. A bash script to automate any SQL query I execute within a bash script to test SQL records.

Ady, thanks for the private message, but solving problems through private messaging is paid service, and does not benefit other readers.
    In the steps in the above post #8, you have left out the commands between line 2 and line 3.
    At the end of line 2 you only have a $ sign as a prompt. The shell will not process the select statement in line 3.

Thanks for the reply,.

ahh ok, so how do i go about processing this select statement as a output as a pass or fail to suggest any entry being submitted to a table is being submitted correctly, when ever this SQL statement is triggered.

Thanks

Lets break this problem down into several steps.
    The first step is to create a bash script that will execute a sql request.
    What database manager are you using, and how do you connect to it?
    What sql statements do you currently type?

Replies to the below questions...

The first step is to create a bash script that will execute a sql request.

- Yes that correct a batch script that triggers these SQL statements

What database manager are you using, and how do you connect to it?

- Iam using a version of secureCRT to connect to a database session where all the database query's can be triggered from the command line. example select * from db_name where id="123", brings back results.

I connect to a specific environment setup example to connect to ip via the session i run a particular IP example 162.19.1.1 and this connects to all the database tables.

What sql statements do you currently type?

Within the session iam currently typing the following sqls below i just need a process of where iam not manually kicking of these statements and i can run them when ever.

SQL's - running from command line via secureCRT database.

- QueryN "select * from users with ur" - This brings back a list of users

- QueryN "select * from int.head where custom_NUM=05009890" - this brings back entry added from a website and store the number in the database sql above.

- QueryN "select * from int.pd where custom_NUM=0087865" - this brings back a that all data in that table for that customer number once triggred from the webpage.

The above statements i would like to kick off using a bash/ any other method so i can run these statements automatically when ever?

Thanks for the help.

I think I have it figured out. After you have logged into the Linux system, you first enter 'su - hhr01'. This command creates the correct environment for the database, and connects to the database so you may then enter sql commands directly at the prompt.
    You do not need a bash script, but rather a sql script to automate your processes.
    See the following link How do I execute an SQL script in MySQL? - Web Tutorials - avajava.com

thanks for the reply.

That's correct. I can enter SQL commands directly from the command as mentioned below.

I can also from the command run SQL queries and run bash commands such as creating as below

#!/bin/bash
    STRING="HELLO WORLD!!!"
    echo $STRING

./hello_world.sh - execute command,

So how would i set these in my command line as below through a text file and then running then as the tutorial explains.

The tutorial links explains inserting data as below :

USE testdatabase;
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS employees;
    CREATE TABLE employees (id INT, first_name VARCHAR(20), last_name VARCHAR(30));
    INSERT INTO employees (id, first_name, last_name) VALUES (1, 'John', 'Doe');
    INSERT INTO employees (id, first_name, last_name) VALUES (2, 'Bob', 'Smith');
    INSERT INTO employees (id, first_name, last_name) VALUES (3, 'Jane', 'Doe');
    SELECT * FROM employees;

Would this be a case of creating these in a text file with my queries and then running them on my command line?

And also is their a way in the above script to create a pass or fail code i can insert to suggest that these entry's are successful in the database?

Thanks for the help.

If you want to create a bash script, then you need to extract the relevant lines from hhr01's .profile.
    This will show you how to connect to the database, and create the correct environment.