Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Brilliant Database Alternative II

While I would hate to abandon Brilliant Database but with the current support situation (Nil) and chances of feature requests being added remote (was the opposite 3 years ago), I have being looking at an alternative in "Longtion Application Builder or less featured Longtion Database Builder. So far I have just been experimenting with various parts of program and while there is the usual learning curve, it does look promising. I should add that I have emailed support several times and they have always replied within 48hrs (normally 24hrs).
    Just wondering if other members have taken a look and would value their opinions.
    Regards
    David

Provided Answers: 17
    I have been looking too for all the same reasons as you. What interests me most is Filemaker Server Advance because it's clearly advanced software, future proof and heavily supported. It also supports compiling to different platforms like iOS and OSX which is what I'd expect in this digital age.

Brilliant Database on the other hand, fantastic software, Love it. But NO signs of any serious development at this stage, or anything that even remotely resembles customer support.

I fear that the lack of support or any serious online activity will be the death of the company. I worked hard for what little money I have. Same goes for you all. People are not stupid. Regardless of how fantastic the software is, people won't buy into this going forward with such crappy support.

Regards
    James.

I am currently experimenting on "ZOHO CREATOR". Anybody has usage comments on this online database?

Provided Answers: 2
    asokram,
    Although the video looks good for the product, the fact that there are monthly charges for this would totally eliminate it from my field of possibilities regardless of how good it is (this is just my viewpoint). Secondly, after an especially painful learning period, I am finally becoming more proficient at Brilliant Database and I could not imagine having to go learn a completely new system... even if they claim that it is easy and no programming is required. It is unfortunate that technical support for BD is not present.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 54
    Just curious, but has anyone considered the web based platforms? There are CMS packages like Drupal, XOOPS, and even Joomla (in decreasing order of my perception of their power and adaptability) that I think would be fantastic for this kind of use.

These packages can be used in several different modes (many require "add in" modules that bring new functionality), some of which require little or no "programming" as such to set up a simple web site. All of them allow full blown, PHP based, object oriented programming if you wish.

These CMS packages would allow you to build custom web sites with database functionality. You could provide these sites as hosted packages where you provided the website, management, and hosting for a monthly fee. You could also provide them as a completely customer driven solution with delivered packages to be hosted on a client's computers. You could build your payment model as you choose, on a project by project basis if you like.

Has anyone looked at any of these packages?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I wouldn't be a fan of online solutions at all. Far too many negatives from each of the difference systems available.

Most are subscription based, so you don't even own what you create. It's not something you can download and install on a local PC or a server within a factory. You cant even sell what you make as an exe. If you fail to keep up payment for the subscription, and you loose your data and everything you ever created. Then there’s the security issues of storing your data remotely over the Internet.

I much prefer packages that what you create with them, you own fully to do with as you please.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
    James

Actually, you DO in fact own what you create using a CMS package. You can easily choose to host it on your own server, a service provider, or a client's server.

You are correct in that you can't package it very easily as s single file like an EXE, but I don't see that as even relevant much less important.

It is easy to carry the work environment on a thumb drive using PortableApps WAMP. Pair that with UltraEdit and UltraCompare and you have a killer development platform on a thumb drive!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks Pat.
    That's very interesting for sure.

Regards
    James

Maybe it is not too late for you, I've just tested a new app for software development, called XtraBuild Designer, from Database Software - Software Development Tools for Database Applications
    It's quite interesting so far

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by tehnic49 View Post
    Maybe it is not too late for you, I've just tested a new app for software development, called XtraBuild Designer, from Database Software - Software Development Tools for Database Applications
    It's quite interesting so far
    as the user IP address and the physical address for XTrabuild and their owner (Aredealsoft) resolves to Satu Mare, Romania users should draw their own conclusions on technic49's comments and any objectivity that might attach.

also user tehnic49 and user xtrabuild share the same IP address

There's nowt wrong with promoting your own products or business, however it is presumed that you should identify any involvement and only refer to that product, or service when its relevant
    Last edited by healdem; 03-13-13 at 09:51.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks Healdem.

Hi tehnic49.
    I'm sorry to say that there are issues with this software. Within seconds of installing it I ran into problems.

When the program launches, it's in opens in a small window. When I maximise that window to fit my screen, every single button and icon on the Project pages no longer works. They only work when the program is not maximised.

There are all manner of very odd graphic redraw behaviours that look bad.

The splash screen doesn't go away sometimes leaving it impossible to operate the program as it stays on top of everything.

The program is also driving my firewall crazy. It wants to send information over the NET each time is launched.

When I denying the program access through my firewall to the internet, this kills the software. It just crashes every time it's opened.

Even if it worked, I doubt it would be software any Brilliant Database SDK user would be interested in. Having to pay for a runtime “program" for each end user just so they can run what you create is a very bad idea.

Well, not for me I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.

Regards
    James

Hi Healdem,
    You’re right, indeed, tehnic49 is part of our team. We’re sorry for the uninspired posting he made yesterday, it was an unapproved action.

Regards,
    XtraBuild

Hi James,

Thank you for taking the time to test our application, your feedback is welcome. Our team will fix these issues in the next version.

I'm sorry you quit testing before discovering the qualities of the application, they are a lot, and I won’t count them here to not turn my post into an advertisement. There is no bug-free software; I think we all agree with that. What is important is the willingness of producers to listen to developers’ needs.

I’m sure that the licensing way is not the only requirement for a developer to decide, but also are the quality of the applications created, the ease of learning and the increased security which protect the developers’ work. So, developers should decide for themselves if it is or not an alternative.

Application Builders are tools that help developers to produce more in less time; they are not created to empty the developers’ pocket.

I hope that my post will not be seen as an advertisement, it is not my intention, but Application Builder like software are created for developers and I think that if we understand each other’s needs and intentions we could all benefit from it.

Regards,
    XtraBuild

technic49 was on very questionable ethical ground touting a product without acknowledging that they would benefit from the sales of that product. This kind of post is often deleted without comment by DBForums moderators, although these posts are sometimes left visible for any of several reasons.

xtraBuild has clearly associated themselves with the product and offered useful information for the users of DBForums. This is both a fair and useful post/contribution to the discussion, and unless I am missing something important it would never result in any consequences.

As a side note, many of the developers using Brilliant Database are small business and often "one man shops" with little support staff and no bankroll or margin to support licensing problems. A product could be fabulous, but if it uses a licensing model that means all of the work done by a contractor would be difficult or impossible to sell or support, there is little or no chance that the contractor will use that product. This is harsh reality but due to the way that contractors have been harmed over the years by licensing issues, it seems to be the prevailing attitude among us.

-PatP

Thank you for taking the time to test our application, your feedback is welcome. Our team will fix these issues in the next version.
    Nice to hear such a positive attitude. Dealing with Brilliant Database we generally hear nothing at all but silence.

There is no bug-free software; I think we all agree with that. What is important is the willingness of producers to listen to developers’ needs.
    Sure, totally agree but Brilliant Database is pretty darn stable where your software will not even launch if my firewall prevents it from connecting to the internet.

So while there is no such thing as bug free software, there are many levels from bad to good.

I’m sure that the licensing way is not the only requirement for a developer to decide, but also are the quality of the applications created, the ease of learning and the increased security which protect the developers’ work. So, developers should decide for themselves if it is or not an alternative.
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

If I buy your development tools, and I write a fantastic database that manages bookings for a Health Spa and I get orders for 20 copies. In brilliant database, I can freely sell my work as an exe.

For that reason I purchased a SDK licence.

With your software everything becomes very complicated. If I try sell my database written with your software, I must also tell the customer to go elsewhere and buy runtime licences for 150 euro each from you and then expect them to deal with activations with YOU, not me.

This to me is totally unacceptable and not one of the people I've worked for with would buy into such a licence agreement if I tried to explain that to them.

I've often written a database and when I was finished I was told to go and install it on many computers in the factory. With brilliant database I can do this freely, but with your software I'd have to buy a licence from you for every machine.

Application Builders are tools that help developers to produce more in less time; they are not created to empty the developers’ pocket.
    Nothing wrong with the tools. The problem is your not happy to let the developer use the tools to sell what they create with them freely.

Or am I misunderstanding all this ?

I hope that my post will not be seen as an advertisement, it is not my intention, but Application Builder like software are created for developers and I think that if we understand each other’s needs and intentions we could all benefit from it.
    My needs are simple.
    What your development tools claims to do is of very **great** interest to me. I would like to buy it and have NO ties to you for anything I create with it. That means, I write a program with it, and I compile it to an exe and freely sell it.

If your software can do that, then you make additional money off me as I buy the latest versions as they come out.

In short, exactly how File Maker Advance or Brilliant Database SDK operates right now.

Kind regards
    James
    Last edited by Tubbritt; 03-14-13 at 17:05.