Question Distributed database concept

Hello guys,

I need to decide what kind of database i'll use for a project.The concept is a distributed database which saves numeric data.Three or more small portable databases will saving their data and they must merging them when they come close through a network(cloud mode).The database must be fast and light.Number of write/reads will be small.Which database could be the most suitable?
    I was thinking about SqLite but i dont know if it would work well in cloud mode(merging,concurency etc) and something like(client-server)Oracle would be overkill dont you think?

Thank you

If you need vendor/provider support for the merge operation, I don't know of an Open Source or no-cost database that will do merge replication for occasionally connected databases. If you intend to write the synchronization code yourself, then SQL-Lite ought to do nicely.

What platform do you intend to use for your project? Android, Linix, Windows, Mac, other? That will make a huge difference in your choices.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you for the reply,the platform is Linux.Is it easy to write the code myself?

Easy is a relative term, and it depends a great deal on your present skill set and how you approach a project.

Linix spans from handhelds to supercomputers so it is still a pretty large target... We need to narrow it down quite a bit in order to have a meaningful discussion.

How do you envison things working? Will the databases be rarely connected to each other, usually connected to each other, or always connected to each other? Can the program or at least the data be delivered from a central server to the end user via the web? How much data do you envision in the entire system, and how much (if any) of that data needs to be stored at individual locations? Are there any regulatory or compliance (like SOX or HIPPA) issues? What kind of connectivity do you envision between databases, app servers, web servers, and client machines?

If this discussion is too complicated, you should probably find an experienced contractor or a developer to help you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I wouldn't like to analyze my whole concept,i gave some atribbutes of it and i would like to hear a list of recommended engines or libraries that could work for my occasion,generally speaking

Oh, that's a lot easier!

All of them could work if you are willing to write enough code to support them.

-PatP

In a few words,I'm searching for a light free database that could transfer data through network(maybe through different file-clients),if someone experienced member has any suggestions i would like to hear.