Exclamation Unanswered: Folder outside brilliant database

I am using the folder outside the database to store my files through a scriprt keeping the URL in the database. Similarly I want the users to store their files in the folders through BD and at the same time I do not want them to delete any files from that folder. I do not find any command in the BD to decide the outside folder attributes(making the folder 'read only' or 'write' access).
    To some extent we can do this without the user knowing where the files are stored. But after opening the file through BD if the user tries to save as command of that file the system will by default showing the folder where this is stored(windows property).
    If it is smaller size files we can copy the files temporarily outside the folder and we can open from there and user may not know where the file is actually stored.But if it is a big size files it will be a nightmare over the network usage. Any idea?

Provided Answers: 17
    Would I be right then in assuming what you want to do is pretty much prevent them from navigating the the actual folder?

If you make the folder a Hidden Folder, they should only be able to access the files through brilliant database, or in the “Open Recent Documents” option of the program they are using to edit the files.

But still, the path should remain inaccessible to them to navigate directly to in Explorer.

Well, that's the idea. Weather or not that will work or its what you need is another question.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Would I be right then in assuming what you want to do is pretty much prevent them from navigating the the actual folder?

If you make the folder a Hidden Folder, they should only be able to access the files through brilliant database, or in the “Open Recent Documents” option of the program they are using to edit the files.

But still, the path should remain inaccessible to them to navigate directly to in Explorer.

Well, that's the idea. Weather or not that will work or its what you need is another question.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards
    James
    If we hide the folder the user cannot add files to that folder through brilliant database.My requirement is the user has to add files in the external folder and read the files too though BD.But they should not know the folder where they are storing the files.The ultimate aim is I do not want the users to delete any file from that folder through BD or through exploring.

Thank you James for trying to help me.

Provided Answers: 4
    I am using freefilesync for similar thing. This software can run in background and do batch jobs.

In folder A, i have my PDF files using in BD. With this software I am synchronizing A folder to B folder (Real time sync). And sharing B folder with Dropbox over internet. If somebody delete file on Dropbox, it also deletes file from B folder of my PC. But software automatically synchronize folder B again. So folder B always mirror of folder A and A folders files are safe.

You can add files to A folder. While opening you can use B folder.

I hope i can explain.

Great Idea!

Thank you MacHeuS.

Provided Answers: 17
    Very clever.
    Nice going.

James.