Unanswered: Programmatically creating a LAN database

Hi to all, I have a question regarding the programmatic creation of database. I state that I know not so much about Sql Server, previously I used ADO with Jet provider.

I have to develop an application (VB.NET/VisualStudio2010) that creates a Sql database that will become resident in a network location (LAN).
    Later with these applications installed on other PCs located on the company network, users will have access to add, modify, remove records, in that database.
    This database must be able to reference other databases, manually created, in order to reference some data like various materials or more.

Please could anyone suggest briefly the things I need to consider, to do?

thanks

Sincerely

Luigi Ballotta

I would strongly discourage you to do this approach. Instead I would think about creating webservices which do the database transactions. This webservice would be available through an (HTTP) API. This way the database activity is controlled through the API instead of from the clients.

Thank-you Eric for the answer, could you tell me where i can find out more detailed informations? This is SQL related?

Does it have to be SQL related? If not look at a server language like Ruby on Rails which can get what you want in a short amount of time.
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 03-15-13 at 10:10.

No, it doesn't have to be mandatory SQL related, but my need is a relational database like SQL is, but if there are other chances, they're welcome.

Inside my company, my goal is: distribute the application setup package in the users machines, then the application shall be able to create programmatically this main database, which will be related to other dabases created manually.
    All this databases will be resident somewhere in the company LAN.

Icon or Rails can run in this way?

I apologize for my english and database tecnical skill too.

Thanks

Okay, here is what I would do. Create a Rails project which connects to your database. Then serve HTML to your clients. This way all information is accessible through a web browser. If you want dynamic HTML (Web 2.0 Stuff) look into a Javascript framework. Something like: ember, backbone, angular, knockout..

You can provide all the authentication means through Rails - this way you can control who has access to the web portal

I can't help you much more, the rest is up to you!
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 03-15-13 at 11:11.

don't worry, your informations have lighten my mind.
    Thank-you very much