Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Unanswered: "Microsoft Access 97 on Window Server 2008 r2

    Hi Guys, Can anyone suggest or advise my issue in installing a "Microsoft Access 97 on Window Server 2008 r2 64 bit? Ive already installed Microsoft Access 97, update the patches (SR1,SR2,Jet35sp3). And the problem occurs is unable to open my mdb. It show "Microsoft Access has stopped working", Close the program.. the error details:
    Application Name: MSACCESS.EXE
    Application Version: 8.0.0.5903
    Application Timestamp: 35ee15c2
    Fault Module Name: vba332.dll
    Fault Module Version: 3.0.0.7019
    Fault Module Timestamp: 3383c5d7
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000b66ff
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 3c9f
    Additional Information 2: 3c9fffcafd4a169baa105a8ba17430a7
    Additional Information 3: d054
    Additional Information 4: d05492e12d4cd3b8cdb1a6eec903db60
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ErrorMdb.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia USA
    Posts
    2,763
    Provided Answers: 19
    Is this a split Database, where you have a copy of the Front End on the user's PC and the Back End (with the data) on the Server?

    Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

    All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    No its not a split database, the copy is in the server. The previous installation is in Windows server 2003, Now we move to Windows Server 2008 and the problem goes like this. Is there any compatibility issue? Ive already install the patches (Sr1,SR2...) Hope can help me this matter?....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia USA
    Posts
    2,763
    Provided Answers: 19
    First off, having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior, including the problem you're having, now! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive.

    Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past seven years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of non-split apps causing these kinds of problems as well as massive data lose! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

    The record, by the way, was a Non-Split db that had been working, without problems, for 12 years! It then started exhibiting all of the symptoms listed above and continued to do so until the app was split.

    Having said all of that, it may very well be the problem, here, or it may be a compatibility problem. I'm a big supporter of not upgrading for the sake of upgrading, especially if you have apps that are performing correctly and providing everything you need, business-wise, but come on! Access 97?

    I spent a couple of hours researching your problem, yesterday, and came across some threads, from a couple of years ago, delineating the exact, same problem, i.e. someone trying to install Access 97 on Windows Server 2008. They finally went to Microsoft Technical Support who told them, basically, that because the Access version was years beyond the support date, they've wouldn't even attempt to figure out a workaround for them!

    Sorry, but given what I found on line, as well as things I mentioned, above, the best I can suggest is to

    1. Make a Backup Copy (or two) and store it safely
    2. Split the original file into a Front-End Back End
    3. configuration
    4. Place a copy of the Front End on your PC
    5. Place the Back End on the server
    6. See what happens.

    Maybe it will resolve the problem, maybe not, but you haven't really lost anything, because as stated above, you really simply have to split this app! You've apparently gotten away with using it, non-split, for way longer than most people do!

    Also note that is making/saving a Backup copy, if you plan on saving it on removable media, use a CD rather than a flash/thumb drive. There are many reports of the latter causing corruption. Best guess on this is that some of these drives pop up a "Transfer complete" message a few seconds before the file transfer is actually complete, and people in a hurry, as everyone seems to be, these days, yank them out during the brief period, ending up with less than the whole file.

    Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

    All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    13,692
    Provided Answers: 59
    Id be suspicious of running an Access 97 on a 64 bit system. you may need to set a compatability mode

    this may be of interest
    Install Access 97 and Office 2007 on Windows 7
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Missingling... i will follow up of what you suggest..Thanks for your time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •