Unanswered: Need help with performance problems

Hi guys,

Greetings to everyone, I'm new around here in this forum

Some of my department colleagues are complaining about performance problems within their application. The application itself is based on an oracle standard edition database.

Now, Im searching for some detailed information about how our oracle database was configured and the possibility to detect some bottlenecks (e.g. logfiles, checkpoint duration times, system parameters, cache sizes, etc, etc.)
    Can u tell me how to get all these information in oracle?

Beforehand, thank you very much!

Best regards

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Do you have the ability to change the application code?

post COMPLETE results from SQL below

BTW, you do NOT tune databases or applications.
    You tune specific SQL statements.

Which Operating System resource (RAM, I/O, or CPU) is the primary bottleneck?
    Last edited by anacedent; 03-12-13 at 16:36.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Many times it is the SQL code, and fixing it requires a lot of work by the developers.

Did you recently upgrade Oracle? Some times when a database is upgraded the new optimizer features will make the same SQL slower, sometimes it will make the SQL faster.

Check the network bandwidth between the application server and the database server. Many times I talk to a customer who things 1 Gbps Ethernet is more than enough bandwidth, but really 1 Gbps = 80 MB/s so it's really a small connection.

Check the processor utilization. You might find one or two processors are doing all of the work and the other processors are not being used.

Check the bandwidth to the storage subsystem. Most SAN uses 4 or 8 Gbps Fibre Channel, which is limited to 300 or 700 MB/s respectively (the reason 8 Gbps FC is more than 2x faster than 4 Gbps FC is due to improvements in the technology). You can use a simple utility like dstat to monitor throughput to specific storage devices, or iostat to measure IOPS.