stay with excel or not????

hi guys,

i currently have one property that's rented out per room bases (4 rooms) i've created an excel sheet that tracks when rents are due weekly and monthly expenses for that property and an overall overview for that property with some statistics. Now the problem being is im about to buy maybe two more properties which could lead me to having about 15-20 rooms needing tracking over 3 properties. Ive been winging it with excel and it works well although may get a bit cumber when i start scaling up? Should i be considering a move to a proper database and also reasons for? thanks for your help in advance.

Excel is great at displaying data, its pretty poor (like any spreadsheet) when you come to storing and manipulating data. if you are expanding the number of properties and rooms then moving to a relational db may make sense. the main issue you are going to face however is switching from the spreadsheet mindset to the database mindset and making certain that when you design the db it is done according the normalisation rules. as such
    Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com
    and
    The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design
    are worht a look
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks for the links i'll have a read and see what i come up it might be a little beyond me to create it but we'll see

I think an MS Access database would be a good next step for you, and would be more scale-able than your Excel solution.
    Depends on how ambitious you want get. You need to ask yourself: "Am I a landlord, or a data manager? How do I want to spend my time?"
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

If you're already skilled in Access then go ahead, but there's a little learning curve to conquer to implement your proposal.

Also, if you have the time to spare and want to build it this way then also go ahead.

However for the volume of data you're looking at I would be tempted to stick with Excel for now.
    George
    Home | Blog

this is a tricky one the landlord thing is about to become my full time job. i have no idea how to use access so it would be a long learning curve. im thinking its probably going to be best wing it for a as long i can then get someone in to a full blown database