Unanswered: DB2 Streamline Import Process

New to the forum and DB2 first and foremost.

I'm looking for some advice on how to streamline CSV imports into a DB2 10 DB. We have buckets of data coming to us in the form of CSV or XLS and we convert them, strip out the formatting and import them into DB2. The problem is we have a couple people doing this and the fields in the CSV file need to be formatted just right for it to work. We've had issues where the file will corrupt the table and we need to restore.

We also have run into an issue where the import that was done needs to be additive instead of a replacement of data and the person forgot to uncheck the replace data icon.

I'm far from an expert with DB2 but is there a common practice for dealing with data the way we're receiving it and process it into our DB?

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 5
    This does not seem to be a DB2 issue. DB2 handles the data just as you send it to it. If you send it garbage data, the the table will be "corrupt" because it now has garbage in it.

I think you should try the following:

1) Create something that will automate the conversion. There currently is too much human error occurring.
    2) Instead of importing into production tables, import it into test tables first. That way you can look at the data in DB2 before it is in production.

Toronto, Canada
    Provided Answers: 1
    What you are describing is typically called an ETL (Extract - Transform - Load) process. There are tools available that can automate the process. Some of them are free, e.g. Talend or Pentaho Kettle.
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Thank you guys, I'm looking to automate this process as much as possible. Going to look at these ETL tools. ( Thanks n_i)